Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

79% of China Foreign Teachers Want Out...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B4UGO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: 79% of China Foreign Teachers Want Out... Reply with quote

I just read the 2012 annual report and Teacher Survey of the China Foreign Teachers Union and amongst the many stats (collected from 500 random teachers in China from K1-High Schools). The majority (79%) said they would never have become a teacher if they knew what was in store for them. When you read the rest of the report you can see why they are so pissed off (too many scams, ID thefts, unpaid overtime, and 52% said they were even cheated by their own schools!) I also found these two articles on line... http://www.zimbio.com/Beijing+China/articles/CWDbD8FdBB9/China+Foreign+Teachers+Say+Low+Salaries+Insulting which talks about the crappy salaries paid to foreign teachers in China and this one talks about about the scams: http://open.salon.com/blog/china_business_central/2012/12/14/china_foreign_teachers_exploited_and_abused_by_scams

Personally, I have seen some teachers threatened by Principals when they try to quit. Teachers are told they will be blacklisted, not get their last pay check, nor their release letter. They wanted to quite because they were being forced to work on one of their two days off for free. I faked a family emergency back home and bailed out of there too. Now I am lucky and found a school that has been 80% fair and honest with me, which is much better than most places. Because Chinese people think "saving money" is admirable, a little bit of cheating means nothing to them I suppose. Here are some more stats that I cut and pasted from the CFTU report:

1. 79% regret choosing the teaching profession in China and will either find new jobs or leave China after their current contracts expire.

2. 8% report that their current employment is �fine�, 7% � acceptable� and 6% �tolerable�.

3. 84% report being either deliberately misled or tricked by agents that recruited them.

4. 52% of those surveyed report being swindled or cheated at least once in the last year by their own employer.

5. 78% were unaware of protections offered by China�s labor laws.

6. 32% report being �pressured� or �extorted� for money in exchange for release letters from employers.

7. 87% report unpaid overtime hours were forced upon them by employers.

8. 64% report working under the provisions of a written contract.
9. 36% report working without a written contract.

10. 57% report that their contracts were breached �often� and �23% seldom� and 2% �never�.

11. 83% report not getting the visa support they were promised upon hiring.

12. 72% report having their work schedule changed more than once a month.

13. 89% report regular unapproved use of their personal images without knowledge, consent, nor compensation.

14. 62% report having their proprietary lesson plans or videos stolen or �hijacked� by employers.

15. 73% report regular violation of copyright and trademark violations by their employer.

16. 38% report not receiving their last paycheck from their former employers.

17. 22% report being sexually harassed by their employers or Chinese staff of employers.

18. 23% report that they trust their employers, 60% report that they do not, and 18% abstained.

There was a handful of positive stuff in the stats about TA support and text books being used. etc. But overall, I think most of the teachers here are not getting a fair shake.
doogsville

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And 100% agree that spamming posts on internet forums are easy to spot, rather sad, and a complete waste of time.
maxand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

72% of statistics are made up on the spot Laughing
Trevor Wadlow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: 79% of China Foreign Teachers want out... Reply with quote

I have been in China five years now. I have a nice life, I buy what I want and do what I want. My Chinese boss supports me in everything I do. My range of FT friends and acquaintances amounts to about 15 people. They too have a nice life etc.

Clearly, there is something wrong with us. I had better return to the UK where, despite my degree and Trinity Cert I will be paid an hourly rate that will buy me a packet of cigarettes and my tube fare home.
kev7161

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think B4UGO should post his findings on another, er, "esl teachers board"! Most of the regulars there LOVE a good cause and these websites that the OP is referring to sound like they are right up their alley!
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 79% of China Foreign Teachers Want Out... Reply with quote

B4UGO wrote:
I just read the 2012 annual report and Teacher Survey of the China Foreign Teachers Union....

Seems that the China Foreign Teachers Union isn't doing jack...
Laughing

Trolls really need to try a little harder. These numbers aren't even close to plausible.
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord help me, I know I'm gonna get flamed but here goes.......

I've checked the CFTU site and agree with an earlier post that it looks like a solo operation with little to support the validity of any "annual report(s)" and "Teacher Survey(s)". Most of those numbers look like they could apply to the majority of employees/jobs/countries (if they actually are from a survey).

8% report that their current employment is �fine�, 7% � acceptable� and 6% �tolerable�.
...Where are the other 79%? "Employer is great" or "Employer is horrible"?

84% report being either deliberately misled or tricked by agents that recruited them.
...High, but happens any time newbies fresh out of college start working and learn the rules of negotiating a job.

78% were unaware of protections offered by China�s labor laws.
...How many of us know all the US/UK/... labor laws that protect workers?

87% report unpaid overtime hours were forced upon them by employers.
...Maybe not as common outside China, but whatever happened to saying, "No, thanks."?

64% report working under the provisions of a written contract.
36% report working without a written contract.
...Sounds a lot like America to me.

57% report that their contracts were breached �often� and �23% seldom� and 2% �never�.
...Almost every newbie is warned by posts here to have a backup plan and be ready to leave. Once everyone starts holding employers to their word fewer employers will break contract terms.

83% report not getting the visa support they were promised upon hiring.
...A valid point but easily solved. Don't go in the classroom without a work visa. Simple.

72% report having their work schedule changed more than once a month.
...What a life-shattering thing to do to someone. If you're working part-time at Burger King and going to school at night I would sympathize. Working 15 hours a week? Sorry.....boohoo.

89% report regular unapproved use of their personal images without knowledge, consent, nor compensation.
...Have to agree with this one, seen it done a few times. Add it to the contract and if you see your pic on their ads ask for payment or leave.

62% report having their proprietary lesson plans or videos stolen or �hijacked� by employers.
...Another valid point. You should check into submitting an application to Apple.......oh.....wait.

73% report regular violation of copyright and trademark violations by their employer.
...My take is that this is an international legal issue but join the fight if you feel like it.

38% report not receiving their last paycheck from their former employers.
...Camp out in the office or better yet in front of the building and politely tell anyone who asks why you're there that you're owed money. Be nice, bring a book, don't gripe or denigrate the boss, don't leave.

22% report being sexually harassed by their employers or Chinese staff of employers.
...Fist to the b**ls, piercing shrieks of disgust that can be heard for miles. How many local guys would hang around with a screaming foreigner yelling rape?

23% report that they trust their employers, 60% report that they do not, and 18% abstained.
...Another ditto for the American worker. And VERY interesting how it adds up to 101%.
fred13331

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev7161 wrote:
I think B4UGO should post his findings on another, er, "esl teachers board"! Most of the regulars there LOVE a good cause and these websites that the OP is referring to sound like they are right up their alley!

Most? I should say all 5 would love it
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
79% regret choosing the teaching profession in China and will either find new jobs or leave China after their current contracts expire.

Just a little curious as to how the question were presented. For example;
Quote:
find new jobs or leave China.

If they regret choosing the teaching profession and want a new job how many of this 79% will be able to connect on a professional level with other employment in China.
mike w

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the moderators? Do we really have to put up with this sort of garbage being trolled around?
all-at-sea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had better return to the UK where, despite my degree and Trinity Cert I will be paid an hourly rate that will buy me a packet of cigarettes and my tube fare home.

How long have you been away from Blighty, Trevor?!

No, wait. Just did my calculations: smoke Lambert & Butler and beg your tube fair at the station, and you may just get home (assuming the L&B don't bring on toxic psychosis first) Smile .
B4UGO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Wages, Salary & Pay of Foreign Teachers in China ??? Reply with quote

What are you guys earning and where? I'll bet anyone making less than 200 rmb and hour used agent.
B4UGO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Wages, Salary & Pay of Foreign Teachers in China ??? Reply with quote

What are you guys earning and where? I'll bet anyone making less than 200 rmb and hour used agent. Am I right? All the universities pay the lowest, and the international schools pay the most. Is this not accurate?
mambawamba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please can we stop all this nonsense? Bring on the moderators.
Ariadne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my job. I love teaching university students in China. China has presented me with challenges, headaches, irritations... but there have been many more delights, wonders, and moments of joy. I've been paid in full and almost always on time. My living accommodations have been very comfortable. The pay I get for 14 hours of classes a week is just fine with me. No one made me come to China and no one makes me stay.

I have always been ready and able to leave if things go wrong. I abide by my contract and expect the school to do the same. Just because some folks hate their lousy jobs and have awful employers doesn't mean that all folks have the same situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: