Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

neato major metropolitan areas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhengzhou can get very cold in the winter and the pollution is very bad. There's a big yellow cloud hanging over the city from the nuclear power plants, children 5 and 6 years old hack and cough constantly. Lots of western amenities, though.
cormac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm likely to get battered a bit but I'd actually recommend xian. Sure the weather is annoying.. The summers are dry and hot. And the winters are dry and cold. And in between we have unpredictable weather. The pollution is similar to other cities in that you'll miss real sunlight, but xian has plenty of options in food, work, entertainment etc without being an excessively large city. I also find the people to be a little more honest and more welcoming to foreigners than the other cities. It is changing rapidly due to he influx of money, but for me, that's another good reason to stay here. To see a city actually visibly grow and change. It's interesting...

I've been here three years and while at times I want to leave, I still want to live here.

kungfuman wrote:
If you really want culture you should bypass China and directly to Japan.

It really depends on your stamina. If you want everything offered on a plate then Japan has more to offer, but I still prefer china.. I'm not much of a tourist since the majority of tourist sites are extremely busy, and complete rip off sites, but there are still plenty of places to go especially in off seasons. Also I really enjoy the actual living culture that is there IF you dig a little deeper once you make some friends and hang out with their grandparents or visit the smaller villages. And in the area of food culture china blows Japan out of the water considering the sheer size of china and the huge variety of traditional cooking styles.
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twilothunder wrote:
Taiyuan also worth checking out. Clean, tranquil, lovely people.

Cool...

I will add it now!
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Zhengzhou can get very cold in the winter and the pollution is very bad. There's a big yellow cloud hanging over the city from the nuclear power plants, children 5 and 6 years old hack and cough constantly. Lots of western amenities, though.

thanks...

I'm removing it now.
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cormac wrote:
I'm likely to get battered a bit but I'd actually recommend xian. Sure the weather is annoying.. The summers are dry and hot. And the winters are dry and cold. And in between we have unpredictable weather. The pollution is similar to other cities in that you'll miss real sunlight, but xian has plenty of options in food, work, entertainment etc without being an excessively large city. I also find the people to be a little more honest and more welcoming to foreigners than the other cities. It is changing rapidly due to he influx of money, but for me, that's another good reason to stay here. To see a city actually visibly grow and change. It's interesting...

I've been here three years and while at times I want to leave, I still want to live here.

kungfuman wrote:
If you really want culture you should bypass China and directly to Japan.

It really depends on your stamina. If you want everything offered on a plate then Japan has more to offer, but I still prefer china.. I'm not much of a tourist since the majority of tourist sites are extremely busy, and complete rip off sites, but there are still plenty of places to go especially in off seasons. Also I really enjoy the actual living culture that is there IF you dig a little deeper once you make some friends and hang out with their grandparents or visit the smaller villages. And in the area of food culture china blows Japan out of the water considering the sheer size of china and the huge variety of traditional cooking styles.

Because of circumstances I will be accepting a job in China in the next few months.
But, I would love to work at least one year in Japan the following year.
I was told I would get more response from Japan schools after working in Asia for awhile.
My ultimate dream is to have my husband and I travel as much as possible and experience different things for as long as possible.
If we find a place we like beyond all others in the meantime we will settle in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: