Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Princess Noura University (PNU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Direct hire Reply with quote

Thanks again for your responses. Capita is sending me emails which clearly indicate they are not on top of their game... and I was never given a choice about my country of choice.. I suppose I have answered my own question there. Scrap that one.
So how do I go about Direct hire then? Apply directly to PNU through their website?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, just Teachaway and Uniservices, according to Readytotravel. Try their websites since PNU doesn't have its own recruiting department.
readytotravel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International Education Groups (IEG) recruits for Uniservices. They have a website, but it requires a fee if you go that route. I believe my CV came to them through something I applied for on Serious Teachers, so I didn't pay. I don't think Teach Away charges a fee, but they are quite selective. My first skype interview was with IEG, the second with Universervices. I corresponded with both during the process of visa acquisition, flight arrangement, etc.
anvesha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Offer at PNU Reply with quote

I was offered a position with PNU via Auckland UniServices some months ago, but have not been able to manage to speak directly to anyone currently working there, and visa documents have been glacially slow in arriving. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the university or the recruiters. Also, there has been no indication of the curriculum to be taught, which I would have thought one of the most vital questions.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curriculum ? I would suggest that this is not in fact of much importance in KSA. The "hidden curriculum" is often totally different what is said on those pieces of paper. Teach the b ook - nthat is what you do. And then pretend to test it.
nenna-978

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Employment at PNU Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have been reading this forum for a long time. The thing is that I have just had an interview with a nice lady from PNU, she didn't ask anything about my education and work experience what I think is Ok, because I have stated it in my CV, so the interview was as a short one. General questions, like how do you teach reading and writing and to say something about my teaching approach.
I was wondering if they now do the direct hire because I am not the native speaker and it seems that all the agencies have visa blocks regulations and they can't provide visas for non native teachers.
Is there anyone working there and is a non native speaker who could tell me something more about the process, and yes I am quite aware that the interview doesn't mean that I would be engaged, but I liked the lady and her professional approach during the short interview and I would be glad to work there.
Thanks in advance,
Nenna
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nenna-978 wrote:
The thing is that I have just had an interview with a nice lady from PNU, she didn't ask anything about my education and work experience what I think is Ok, because I have stated it in my CV, so the interview was as a short one. General questions, like how do you teach reading and writing and to say something about my teaching approach.

I was wondering if they now do the direct hire because I am not the native speaker and it seems that all the agencies have visa blocks regulations and they can't provide visas for non native teachers.

Is there anyone working there and is a non native speaker who could tell me something more about the process, and yes I am quite aware that the interview doesn't mean that I would be engaged, but I liked the lady and her professional approach during the short interview and I would be glad to work.

Many short interviews are conducted solely to check the applicant's language proficiency. I suspect this was your situation since you're a non-native speaker. However, universities in the Kingdom have and do hire non-native speakers directly. It comes down to your qualifications, nationality, and of course, language proficiency. If you passed that initial interview and all of your quals match PNU's requirements, then it's likely you'll get another, more comprehensive interview. There are several recruiting companies handling direct hiring for the university. To find out which companies, see Readytotravel's most recent posts on this thread.

As for the recruiter being a "nice lady," that's typical of recruiters. They're trying to fill positions because they make a commission for every eager-to-work job candidate that signs on the dotted line. Frankly, that recruiter isn't likely to be physically based in Saudi Arabia anyway. It's more important to know who the employer is---the entity signing the contract.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visa allocations from the Jawazat at the Ministry of the Interior are on the basis of NATIONALITY not what your mother tongue is !!

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
nenna-978

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Scot,
you don't have to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink
But if my nationality is Bosnian how can my mother language be different and it's sometimes easier to write shorter sentances than to describe all the situation. I asume that most of the posters did understand what I ment to say.
Regards,
N
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few where there is a "mismatch". You will find teachers who have one mnother tongue nut a different pasport. I am sure there are people who have one of the forms of Shtokavian as a mother tongue but who have Canadian or US passports !
nenna-978

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: HI Reply with quote

Hi Scot
You have used exclamation mark again Crying or Very sad
I am just wondering if that's the way you usually correspond with other people or you are angry with me because of my naive statement about nationality vs mother tongue. Please don't be.
I was expecting your help not to be criticized for a thing that I am quite sure you understood well.
And one more thing, I am a Bosnian, with Bosnian language as a mother tongue but I live in other country Cool
Regards
Nenna
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a couple of exclamation marks make you burst into tears, wait until you are living and working in Al Mamluka Al Arabiya As Saudiya !

You need to develop a thicker skin and an ability to deal with exclamation marks !

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
nenna-978

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot
LOL
I was just kidding and to be honest I find you quite interesting person.
I had my skin thickened a long time ago dealing with spoiled student who usually know nothing and they all want excellent marks. Not to talk about their parents who are always in some kind of relation with the principle, and I am embarrassed to talk about the salary.
So dear Scot, please calm down and don't take things for grant.

By the way I want to thank you for this correspondance, because it helps me practice polite arguing, maybe I'll need it if I get a position within PNU Wink
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Middle East the convention is to avoid arguing - even if it means telling lies !
nenna-978

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: HI Reply with quote

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: