Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you ever try calling former employers for a reference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B4UGO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Did you ever try calling former employers for a reference? Reply with quote

My former roomie became my best friend and now that she's trying to find a new gig, I saw her crying last week and asked what happened. She said she found a great job with an international school but two days after her interview she called to check on her chances. The secretary told her that only one of her three former employers in China (over a period of seven years) called back and would only say "Yes, she worked here" and hung up! That school had given Susan a "Teacher of the Month" certificate five times in two years and now they won't even give here a reference!

So I asked her for the other two references where she worked to see what they would say about her, and one principal said "I don't remember much about her" (even though she worked there 3 years - longer than any other foreign teachers) and said she was too busy to look for a file and hung up.

The last place I called would not even pick up the phone but sent me and SMS asking what I wanted. When I replied that I wanted a reference for Susan who applied for a job with me, i got no reply at all!

Do these people hate us for finding a new job that pays more money or what? Susan is a damn good teacher who worked tons of overtime and now these arshoes can't even acknowledge or even remember how they begged her to stay on. She never broke a contract or filed any complaints. What's wrong with these people?
Babala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staff change frequently at schools. Teachers should always get a reference letter when they leave their school at the end of their contract. It's also a good idea to get a mobile phone of a staff member who knows you well that you could use as a reference if you need it for future use.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get a release letter when you leave a position. Ask them for one in English as well. Make sure it has the school stamp on it (that red ink thing).
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As JPT says and add to tht order a reference letter. My employer is British and will not give references at all except a period of employment.
Burke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think you're lucky just to get a release letter. Once you leave they don't give a shit about you because in their eyes, you abandoned them and are probably going to tell other FTs the truth about them!
FlyingJames

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best way to play this one? Maybe ask for a reference letter with one month left on your current contract, and then keep reminding them. The problem even with a solid reference letter is that most employers are requesting referees that can be contacted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: