Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Give us a bit of visa advice, would ya?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadGoldfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Give us a bit of visa advice, would ya? Reply with quote

Right, bit of a strange one.

I needed a new passport (no pages left), so I figured I'd do it when back at home for NY, because the process takes 6 weeks here and is more expensive, and I wanted to travel to Uzbekistan in Feb.

I did some research, checked with vfsglobal etc etc and they said it would be fine, I could just transfer my visa from my old passport to my new one.

Turn up at the embassy, pay my fee, and they transfer my visa, but only give me a 3 month one. They said that it's all they can issue, but no problem, just contact the ministry of foreign affairs in Moscow and they'll reinstate the old yearly one.

Well.... My school has kicked up an absolute stink about this and is saying that they'll have to pay for a whole new yearly visa, and that I'll have to pay 50% (and leave the country) coz it's my fault and why did I do this etc etc

The twist in the tail is that I'm actually planning on leaving in mid-June, so there is no way in hell I want to pay for half a yearly visa and morally no way I want them to pay the full fee again.

What do you suggest?

- Firstly, has anyone had a similar experience, and do you know if I can contact anyone at the ministry of foreign affairs who could directly clarify to me if I really do need a whole new one, or if they can transfer the old one?

- Secondly, is it possible to switch to a business visa in-country from this 3 month one I've got now, just to cover the last 2 months approx of my stay? Or will I have to leave the country, and if so will I have to go back to my home country or can I just nip off for a weekend in Talinn?

Any advice or pointers appreciated!
BenE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm here in Vietnam so I guess you can just hop over the border to Laos or Cambodia and get an extension there.

Where is 'here' for you? I think it's quite important to help us answer this question. My guess is Russia though from the sound of the bureaucracy.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For country specifics the "general" forum is not usually the best place to ask.

The specific regional or country forum would probably be better since there is little consistency from region to region and often not from country to country; what applies in country A is not the same as country B and country C is different again.

scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit like asking,"I want to go abroad but do I need a visa ?"
MadGoldfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops, posted this in the wrong forum by accident!
denise

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are no pages left, it should be easier to get new pages added than to get a new passport before your old one expires. I had to do both of those things at different times.

1) New pages--fairly easy. It can take a while, so if you're in a rush (like, traveling within a few weeks) I believe they ask for proof of travel dates.

2) New passport--well, I did mine in Peru when my old passport, with my visa in it, expired. Royal pain in the wazoo--not to get the new passport (US embassy in Lima did it quickly) but to get the visa transferred. I remember a few trips up to Ecuador, a late fee (paid by my school) because my entry stamp into Peru was in the wrong passport, and general headaches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: