Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Company hasn't applied for COE yet- should I be worried?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CALVINW33

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Company hasn't applied for COE yet- should I be worried? Reply with quote

This is for alt dispatch. The company told me they would hire me in December, but said they can't apply for the COE until we have a agreed contract, and we will have that once the local governments to decide on their contracts. After inquiring today, they say they are still waiting.

Is their story plausible? Should I concerned that I'll be left with no job?
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALTs here can confirm. I'm not an ALT, but yes, contracts with the BOE are not decided until fairly late. In my opinion, however, that doesn't mean the dispatch agency can't start COE processing. If they have already agreed to hire you, that means they have predicted how many ALTs they need. The contract needs to state how many hours you work and the salary, but as far as I know, they can start the COE just based on that information, not with actual location.

No need to panic, but I'd be a little concerned. What do you ALTs out there know?
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fairly normal I think. I had exactly the same situation a few years ago, I was 'hired' before Christmas but didn't get my COE and exchange it at the embassy in London until a day or two before I left for Japan in April.

Glenski wrote:
The contract needs to state how many hours you work and the salary, but as far as I know, they can start the COE just based on that information, not with actual location.

Salary is usually determined by how much their contract is worth with the BoE, though.

The local governments (Boards of Education) tend to be quite slack in finalising things for the next school year. It might be that they've not sorted out their budgets, they might just be disorganised, or they could be looking around to get the cheapest dispatch deal.
surendra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just keep on their toes and maybe start a back up.

I had an ALT job lined up last March/April intake with a certain dispatch company. Now I sent everything ASAP and was told everything was fine. Then in February they said they lost a signed sheet (CoE I think). I re-sent it with a turnaround time of like 5 days. After some waiting and checking in with the company's Facebook group, I grew worried. Eventually, the company had to defer my application and thus, I am in Korea for the time being. Homie doesn't play the waiting game :p The "interaction" with this company seemed good, and I'm sure I am one of the few exceptions. But because I turned everything in and kept on their heels, I can say nothing is 100%.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you like to tell us which company it was?

Calvin, it wouldn't hurt you to apply to other places. You can accept positions with as many companies as you can get, but only one CoE can be processed for you at any time.
surendra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't say negative things about companies on the forums. I gave a pretty obvious hint in the 2nd to last sentence.

OP, definitely get the interviews going if you feel worried.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, yes you did. Feel dumb for missing that.
CALVINW33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. I feel a bit reassured. I'll continue waiting, but I'm definitely going to start applying for a few other jobs , just in case.
surendra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneJoelFifty wrote:
Ha, yes you did. Feel dumb for missing that.

lol. No worries. And OP, if you do have that company I hinted at, I have some friends that are happily working for them.
kah5217

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hired by that certain company, and it looks like I won't get my CoE until the beginning of March. Those placed so far are supposed to arrive around the 20th that same month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: