Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning! China foreign teachers being extorted for release
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Warning! China foreign teachers being extorted for release Reply with quote

My buddy just called me to say he was coming to Beijing from Wenzhou for the Spring Festival to hang out with me and my fiancee and I suggested he look for a job while he was up here. He told me he would do so if Shane English would give him his release letter that he has been waiting and begging them for almost 2 months. The fricking principal there wants 25,000 for the release letter! I told him to file a police report and file a complaint with the Ministry Of Education and post the complaint on Weibo. Anyone else being squeezed for their release letters?
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the release letter ... I cant get released!

My boss has barricaded my door with sacks of rice and barred my windows with chopsticks. I read about this kind of tactic on Chinesescumbusters.com - Time for me to put a call into the CFTU I think. Pass the batphone.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. The other night in a beijing bar I was talking to a friend who's amember of JLC (Justice League of China) and he told me that they have an alien bracelet that can overcome the wills of evil agents and schools.

They won't even ask for money to lend you the bracelets for the day, though they do ask that you adopt a secret identity and do some volunteer superhero stuff.
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can show you 10 contracts I have been given last year with the same clause only it stipulates more money. They can fire you at will but if you leave, you pay them big. I have had the same thing where I worked for a month with no contract and no money and then they sue me because I don't want an over stay.
So all you recruiters who are trolling this site, it's time to take out your grammar books and spell checks and nail me to the cross.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancy, the only thing we are recruiting for is the Justice League of China. We'll let you off if your grammar is poor ... but if you dont look good in tights and a cape, forget it.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
the only thing we are recruiting for is the Justice League of China

Ooooh! Ooooh! Ooooh! I may be interested! Fightin' the baddies and standing up for the goodies!

...if I am deemed worthy.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..but if you dont look good in tights and a cape, forget it.

If 'Chris' means 'Christine' and you're not actually fat, send a tights and cape photo to my inbox and Ill veto your application.

However, if 'Chris' means 'Christopher' and you are carrying a few extra pounds please send your photo to vikeologist instead. He is the inventor and the JLC founder. Laughing
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
However, if 'Chris' means 'Christopher' and you are carrying a few extra pounds please send your photo to vikeologist instead. He is the inventor and the JLC founder. Laughing

Chris is short for Christopher.

Not fat, but a bit chunky. Time to hit the gym.

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christos Papadopoulous would be a cool name.
Burke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancy Bloom wrote:
I can show you 10 contracts I have been given last year with the same clause only it stipulates more money. They can fire you at will but if you leave, you pay them big. I have had the same thing where I worked for a month with no contract and no money and then they sue me because I don't want an over stay.
So all you recruiters who are trolling this site, it's time to take out your grammar books and spell checks and nail me to the cross.

According to the labor laws of China it is illegal to charge money for release letters so how can they dare to put it in a contract Lancy?
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burke wrote:

According to the labor laws of China it is illegal to charge money for release letters so how can they dare to put it in a contract Lancy?

Do you know of anyone that follows all the laws of China ?
Burke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Weibo is the ultimate equalizer Reply with quote

No - but if that shit gets on Weibo it is game over for the idiot that challenges big brother in writing
vikeologist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably what Lancy is referring to is the standard release clause in contracts should you wish to break your contract early.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, did the teacher finish the contract? If so, have him bring the contract to the new employer and let the new employer deal with the old one. If he just wants out of Wenzhou and out of the remainder of the contract, well, perhaps he could negotiate down from 25k.
bestteacher2012

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't this BS be overcome by going to HK or one's home country and applying for a new Z visa?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: