Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Part-time work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisms86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Part-time work Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, sorry I tried searching and could not find an answer.

Best countries for part-time work? Preferably cheap cost of living, ability to set own hours (i.e. tutoring versus signing a contract for a specific number of hours), and able to meet basic costs (Food+Rent) with ~20 hours/week.

I am 26 year old Ideal Looking Foreigner (tall white male), American bachelor's degree.

Basically I'm an entrepreneur but revenue this year looks to be $15k-$25k so I'd like to cut costs while I work on the business model. It seems like South America may be an option but I hear conflicting reports on the state of the private lessons industry
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your nationality and degree may not be enough. Here in Japan, for instance, you cannot get a visa for part-time work until after you have worked a full year in a full-time job.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Part-time work Reply with quote

chrisms86 wrote:
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, sorry I tried searching and could not find an answer.

Best countries for part-time work? Preferably cheap cost of living, ability to set own hours (i.e. tutoring versus signing a contract for a specific number of hours), and able to meet basic costs (Food+Rent) with ~20 hours/week.

I am 26 year old Ideal Looking Foreigner (tall white male), American bachelor's degree.

Basically I'm an entrepreneur but revenue this year looks to be $15k-$25k so I'd like to cut costs while I work on the business model. It seems like South America may be an option but I hear conflicting reports on the state of the private lessons industry

For illegal work... just get on a plane and kick the cat.

The problem is that to stay in a country beyond what is the allowed time as a tourist usually requires a sponsor (employer) and they come with contracts and expectations.

Just dropping into a country, pitching your tent then starting work (in direct completion with local business) is not usually a legal option.

scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EU is out - unless you can get nationality from an EU state. Do you have an Irish grandparent ?
chrisms86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
EU is out - unless you can get nationality from an EU state. Do you have an Irish grandparent ?

No paths to EU citizenship. I could get in to Amsterdam on the Dutch/American friendship treaty but I don't think that lets me stay elsewhere in EU

Besides practically speaking I'm trying to cut costs as I work on building more revenue streams. Currently I'm probably going to bring in $15-25k so I don't want to fall too far behind while living in the U.S.
peco

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see lots of part time job offers in the Korean Job Board

should be able to cover living costs.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere outside the USA you will need some sort of long-term resiudence. Figure that out as well as the job market. Generally speaking this route is NOT EASY !
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A university position in China is pretty much a part-time job. Around 16 hours a week and lots of holidays.
chrisms86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I bought a ticket to Bangkok, sort of an impulse decision with a really low fare ($485 from the U.S.!!). I don't necessarily plan on staying there, have already lived there for 7 months a few years back, in fact heading up to China was on the list of possible ideas.

I have a renewed focus on making freelance magazine writing my primary income, so I think I'm going to stick with tutoring some uni students here or there to get some side money. Maybe try to get an article published to pay the rent and teach the kids to pay the food Smile Use whatever I make in the states to travel and save.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: