Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Wahda Private School, new news?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Al Wahda Private School, new news? Reply with quote

They have just advertised (Jan.20, 2013) -- information seems a bit spotty on the web, and there are some negative reviews from 2009 here. But schools do change. I was wondering if anyone, especially from the Dubai area, knew anything about them? Thanks...
Nouran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Run from Al Whada Reply with quote

They absolutely have no respect for Americans. Have no supplies in any class other than KG1. Children are basically housed all day because they can't be controlled. When I say NO SUPPLIES, I mean zippo. 12 of us were let go this past Sept to include the VP who hired us. They use Americans for accredidation purposes and then poof bye bye. Total exploitation at it's finest. We were promised apts, never happened, supplies, never happened. Not really sure how that school stays open. All the teachers I started with have jumped ship even if it was at a monetary cost to them ! Also for the record stay away from SAMA it's running first place with Al Whada. Good luck !
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you -- sounds like a first hand report, all right. Well, despite being advertised on Dave's, the whole thing seemed a bit shaky from the start. Sorry you had to go through such an experience. The only time I worked in the Middle East, it was for a teacher's college in Arabia -- not glorious, but not insane!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remember that ads on all websites are run without being vetted. Here on Dave's totally obvious scams are usually caught before they run, but the more creative often run for awhile before they are reported and removed. It is always 'buyer beware.'

All that is guaranteed for an ad is that they had the money to pay for it. Cool From that point it is up to applicants to do the research to see how good or bad the employer is for their needs.

It is the same as any ad in your local newspaper...

VS
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true, VS. Though because the unsatisfied are more likely to write in than the contented are, forums can sometimes be a little skewed.
What amazes me is the growth of the ESL business to the point where it has attracted not just incompetent schools, but actual scammers....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is explained by the number of posters who show up here and think that with no experience or educational credentials they can make the BIG BUCKS in the Middle East. Laughing The vast majority of scam jobs claim Dubai as the location. Just take a look at the SCAM sticky at the top of this page. Those of us who have been here awhile have watched these crooks get more and more creative and convince people to send them hundreds of dollars to pay for a "visa" and they do catch the unwary. It really picked up steam in 2007. Read that thread to see how they have learned to fool teachers.

You are also correct that all criticism will be skewed to the negative... be it about an employer or something that you are purchasing. But that is better than taking a job blind... as we used to do before the internet.

VS
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, VS.

I'd been working here in America for the last few years, coming back from Korea in 2006. When I decided to go back abroad, I sent out a bunch of applications, and got one from Turkey. Quite a deal.

For awhile I was just stunned at my good fortune. Sure, I had a B.A. in English and a M.Ed. plus experience in Thailand, Korea, and Arabia, but they were talking $5000/month plus housing. They even had a fake school website, with pics of the school and administrators and a Wikipedia entry -- the whole works.

But you couldn't find an e-mail address in it. That's when I started investigating for myself and learned about the .tk free servers, and the fake visa expeditors, etc. They wanted money up front sent to their man, who had a fake Turkey Embassy website of his own -- and a mailing address at the airport!

The island .tk address was pretty slick, too, since it sort of went with the country of Turkey. I didn't send them anything but a resume and my hopes and dreams, but I was almost sick when I realized what they were. My, how the market had changed....

Right now, I'm dealing with Footprints and the UAE Abu Dhabi public school jobs. Certified teachers only, and I've already had to send in three qualifying pre-interview questionaires and document statements. Then a Skype interview will be scheduled, and then an in-person interview. A lot of trouble, but no instant acceptance with money up front, and I think it could be a very decent job. And Footprints, out of Vancouver, has a very convincing website with plenty of contact numbers and no .tk addresses! Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to look at Teachaway. They are hiring for the Abu Dhabi public schools jobs and have a good reputation. They only do face-to-face interviews with certified/licensed teachers in the US, UK, and Canada.

Check out their website and see how things compare.

VS
(Good old Tukolu/.tk ... in the middle of nowhere in the Pacific)
Rousseau Redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are certainly right about Teachaway being in on this, and they are interviewing in the same cities as Footprints....interestingly, their website carries this warning:

"Applicants who interview through more than one agency risk having their application cancelled by ADEC".

Competition between agencies for this contract must be pretty cut throat, eh?

I do have a friend who works at a college in Dubai that I worked with at Assumption University in Bangkok -- he does say life is pretty good in the Emirates (within reason, of course! #;- ); no comparison with Arabia. I found Jeddah pretty stiff, so I am glad to hear any good news in that direction....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ain't Bangkok, but life in the Emirates can be comfortable if you have a good job and employer.

Duplication of applicants likely causes issues with the Ministry as the use of recruiters is rare in the Emirates. It makes sense...

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Duplication Reply with quote

In the UAE, if one company starts a visa for you, it takes about a month before the first visa clears the system, and then the other company can start on your visa. I'm not surprised that organizations now request that you think long and hard before you apply. Pick one prospect in each country, at least for the UAE. I did not have this problem in Saudi because I had to do the visa application, so I made sure that I selected one from the offers which I received.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: