Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruiters/Contractors posting on the forum?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Recruiters/Contractors posting on the forum? Reply with quote

OK, maybe I'm just being overly cynical - paranoid, even. And maybe I'm totally wrong.

But has anyone else harbored the suspicion that there might be a few recruiters and/or contractors posting on this forum and "posing" as teachers?

Caveat emptor?

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course some of us divide our time between Daves and the Slave Market down at the Casbah. I assure you all, dear readers that I am not one of those loathsome dealers in human flesh.

Abdullah inn Skutlanda Abu'arbaeen wa sabah.
meInst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Recruiters/Contractors posting on the forum? Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
OK, maybe I'm just being overly cynical - paranoid, even. And maybe I'm totally wrong.

No, you're not being overly cynical or paranoid. I've suspected the same thing.

It is a pity the forum software here doesn't have a "plus" "minus" feature (an ignore user feature would also be very useful Laughing ) where members can express their views about specific posts.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear meInst,

I'd give your post a plus (+) if I could Very Happy

Regards,
John
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Recruiters/Contractors posting on the forum? Reply with quote

meInst wrote:
johnslat wrote:

No, you're not being overly cynical or paranoid. I've suspected the same thing.

It is a pity the forum software here doesn't have a "plus" "minus" feature (an ignore user feature would also be very useful Laughing ) where members can express their views about specific posts.

Please feel free to pass along your suggestions to the Board Administrator at the "Contact Dave's ESL Cafe" link you'll find at the bottom of this page.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know personally that some do monitor this site, Prime Ed is one, and will not consider you if they see any challenge to any of the schools they represent. Just a FYI.

Prime Ed got upset with my when they tried to get me to sign on with Interlink and I provided them with a background of what was being said of them. Of course according to Interlink and Prime Ed anyone who complains is a liar.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and I and others have accused various posters of being in the employment of various recruiters over the last couple years. But, it is hard to prove. We had the fellow lately who self-identified, which was nice of him.

We've all worked with PollyAnna sorts who didn't seem to notice any of the various problems at this and that employer. So, other than raise suspicion of the overly positive, I don't know if we could actually stop them. Cool

VS
readytotravel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let me get this straight. If someone who likes their job, doesn't think their employer is all that bad and wants to set the record straight, they are a "Pollyanna" or a recruiter posing as a teacher? Yes, you are paranoid and/or overly cynical. Get real.
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

readytotravel wrote:
So, let me get this straight. If someone who likes their job, doesn't think their employer is all that bad and wants to set the record straight, they are a "Pollyanna" or a recruiter posing as a teacher? Yes, you are paranoid and/or overly cynical. Get real.

I tend to agree readytotravel. If someone either states their case too positive they are labeled a recruiter polyanna, etc. or too negative then they have an axe to grind or a nutter. Human nature??? People become suspicious when posts are either all black or white...usually some sort of balance paints a more realistic picture. I doubt any work situation is totally black or white...there are at least 50 shades of grey inbetween... Embarassed I may have unwittingly set my self up here Laughing
BTW, I have no major complaints with my job, but that doesn't mean everything is rosy all the time. I just chose to accept the things I can't change and work on the ones I can.
Yes it would be cool to have a rating system(like/dislike) to keep people (like myself) in check...but may also send some people's ego through the roof Wink
readytotravel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, cmp45. I had steeled myself for the infamous Dave's ESL "smack down" which is the all to common response from some of the old timers and self-proclaimed experts on life and work in Saudi. I agree with your assessment of the situation.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only "Pollyanna" I've ever worked with in KSA was a woman on meds for depression, and those happy pills were definitely working. Very Happy She was rather entertaining to be around but more importantly, was a very good teacher.

But back to the topic... It's not so easy spotting a recruiter; the anonymity these forums provide is an "invitation" to posters to comment as they wish, as long as they adhere to the rules. While some members tout their positive experiences, others see it as a sounding board to vent or put out a warning about a situation gone wrong. Then there are those in-betweeners (like myself, cmp45, and others) in which nothing's perfect---there are bumps in the road, but overall, things are going okay. And frankly, what works for one, doesn't work for another, especially since we each come to these forums (and to the Kingdom) with our own unique backgrounds, culture, interests, goals, perceptions, expectations, levels of tolerance, etc. It is what it is...that human nature thing.

Recruiter? Teacher? Who knows, and does it really matter. Either way, for many, these forums are a valuable source of information and inspiration and at times, entertainment. In fact, when I first thought about changing careers and going into teaching, I certainly benefitted from the more seasoned posters' advice, but also from others who were starting out as well. I didn't (and still don't) agree with everything that's posted on these boards, but that's cool---I never agreed with everything my parents told me either and didn't knock them for it. Anyway, we review the information, we synthesize it, we pick/we choose, we make our own decisions. In the end, we're accountable only for ourselves. Preachy? Yeah, but you can agree or disagree. Very Happy
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear readytotravel,

"So, let me get this straight. If someone who likes their job, doesn't think their employer is all that bad and wants to set the record straight, they are a "Pollyanna" or a recruiter posing as a teacher? Yes, you are paranoid and/or overly cynical. Get real."

Actually, getting real is what I'm talking about. Are there people who like their jobs in Saudi? Of course - I was one, and I'm not a Pollyanna.

However, when I see posts that claim, "Everything here is great and don't worry. Just go!" Yup, I get a little suspicious because I know for a fact that there are NO jobs in Saudi (or anywhere else, most likely) where "Everything is great."

Moreover, this is an EFL teacher forum. While typos and other minor errors are understandable, when I see something like this:

"I got MA TESOL"

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1070630#1070630

I almost have to HOPE the poster is really a recruiter/contractor because it's scary to think that anyone who truly has a TESOL MA would write in such a way Very Happy

Regards,
John

Last edited by johnslat on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Moreover, this is an EFL teacher forum. While typos and other minor errors are understandable, when I see something like this:

"I got MA TESOL"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1070630#1070630

I almost have to HOPE the poster is really a recruiter/contractor because it's scary to think that anyone who truly has an TESOL MA would write in such a way.

That thread had some cringe-worthy writing and comments that were quite suspect. (Some of my pre-intermediate students write better than that!) At least that poster (or 'imposter') didn't state: "Me got MA TESOL." Shocked
readytotravel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far more disturbing to me than the possibility of recruiters posting here, is the fact that threads are locked if an old-timer's wisdom is challenged.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear readytotravel,

Well, the Moderators' names are all posted, so you can send a query/complaint if you wish.

Regards,
John

P.S. I'm NOT a Mod.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: