Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How not to go nuts in KSA?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
al-Californian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: How not to go nuts in KSA? Reply with quote

I'm back and I come in peace.

I think I really will go crazy, and I don't mean because of my job. I was suckered in to thinking we could live in a small town in the sticks (literally). Many have said Jeddah will cure our boredom if we live there, but I really don't want to be in a destruction derby every time I have to take my family shopping. Riyadh is worse, right? So what's left? Dammam, Khobar, Dhahran, Jubail?

I NEED SOME REAL ADVICE SO DON'T TRASH MY THREAD WITH NERDY BS ABOUT HOW I'M(YEAH NOT I AM) USING CONTRACTIONS OR WHATEVER!

Now I must meditate by counting how many days are left on my contract.

Last edited by al-Californian on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Talkin' Crazy Talk Reply with quote

Well, you might want to change your subject line to attract useful responses. Smile
al-Californian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's that ^?
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How not to go nuts in KSA? Reply with quote

al-Californian wrote:

I think I really will go crazy, and I don't mean because of my job. I was suckered in to thinking we could live in a small town in the sticks (literally). Many have said Jeddah will cure our boredom if we live there, but I really don't want to be in a destruction derby every time I have to take my family shopping. Riyadh is worse, right? So what's left? Dammam, Khobar, Dhahran, Jubail?

I NEED SOME REAL ADVICE SO DON'T TRASH MY THREAD WITH NERDY BS ABOUT HOW I'M(YEAH NOT I AM) USING CONTRACTIONS OR WHATEVER!

There you go! You have answered your own question! The answer to your dilemma is within YOU! Laughing Meditate for for however many days that are left on your contract and you will have solved your dilemma!
al-Californian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How not to go nuts in KSA? Reply with quote

Great! A philosopher! Is that it, swami?

cmp45 wrote:
al-Californian wrote:

There you go! You have answered your own question! The answer to your dilemma is within YOU! Laughing
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How not to go nuts in KSA? Reply with quote

Yeah, it's that simple because by the end of your contract you will be gone from KSA... problem solved!
al-Californian wrote:
Great! A philosopher! Is that it, swami?

cmp45 wrote:
al-Californian wrote:

There you go! You have answered your own question! The answer to your dilemma is within YOU! Laughing
al-Californian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How not to go nuts in KSA? Reply with quote

Eh?Gone from KSA?! Now that's a problem! I like making easy tax free cash and going on as many vacations as a I can just as much as anybody does. I've no problem leaving my current teaching location, though.

Tell me something good.... you're getting warmer...
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How not to go nuts in KSA? Reply with quote

al-Californian wrote:
Eh?Gone from KSA?! Now that's a problem! I like making easy tax free cash and going on as many vacations as a I can just as much as anybody does. I've no problem leaving my current teaching location, though.

Tell me something good.... you're getting warmer...

You're already nuts, so relax...quit your moanin and groanin, do your job, go home, eat, watch some TV, sleep. Repeat for how many days until your next vacation.

How's that...
al-Californian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the ingredients to success to me. How long have you been practicing this art of doing nothing?
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

al-Californian wrote:
Looks like the ingredients to success to me. How long have you been practicing this art of doing nothing?

Good maybe you can try it out see how it works for you.

Don't throw this back at me, I don't have this problem. This advice is just for YOU! Wink

Last edited by cmp45 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
al-Californian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm serious. Very bored, but serious, and I aspire to develop a similar routine to ride the money train as long as you, dude. How's life in Riyadh btw?

cmp45 wrote:
al-Californian wrote:

Good maybe you can try it out see how it works for you.

Don't throw this back at me, I'm not the one with this problem. This advice is just for YOU! Wink
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear al-Californian,

Unfortunately, driving skills all over the kingdom are, in my experience, equally abysmal. Of course, if you go to a smaller urban center, there'll be fewer cars, but as you already know, the sticks can drive you bonkers.

I don't think there's any place in Saudi that can offer a cure for your malaise.

Regards,
John
al-Californian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear al-Californian,

I don't think there's any place in Saudi that can offer a cure for your malaise.

Regards,
John

Say it ain't so, John! Not even Khobar or Dhahran?
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joking aside...As John says...there is no secret formula. ...it is hard for most expats, no matter where you are in KSA...if it wasn't...then you really would be nuts. Most people that choose to stay in KSA long term just suck it up and get on with it...finding/having a hobby,or interest your passionate about outside of work helps fill the void... at least it works for me.

I like my job which is a plus since I spend alot of time at work. I am passionate about making art which fills alot of my spare time at home, also an avid reader and a novice writer. I take on-line courses, and of course there's dave's cafe Laughing The city of Riyadh ...not so much, but have learned to accept it. I have a love-hate relationship with this city. Like most people, I have my good days and bad days. That's life. I count my blessings... as you say, good salary, free accommodation, paid vacations each summer, etc....that alone usually suffices for most people.

Last edited by cmp45 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 am; edited 2 times in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear al-Californian,

Everywhere you go - lived in Riyadh for 15 years, and found it tolerable. There's Batha (the old souk), the desert, lots of great restaurants, and, well, not much else, admittedly.

But if an expat wants to last in Saudi, he/she has to have an above-average amount of self-sufficiency, I'd say. Hey, you've got it easy (or easier, anyway) for my first 12 years in Saudi, there was no Internet and no dish TV, just two channels, one all in Arabic, the other in English but mostly religion, football (soccer), and (go figure) American "wrestling. And the "news" on that channel consisted mostly of people lining up for audiences with the king.

It not only could be worse - it WAS.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: