Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharqiya University?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great!
[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hashim99uk wrote:
madrileno wrote:
Anyone with an update on developments at ASU?

I finished a contract there in 2010/11 back when ELS still ran the GFP, and I'm hearing rumors that teachers are being offered the OR 1500 advertised salary WITH housing!

Is this the case? Can anybody shed light on this?

I have been offered 1400 OR to teach accounting, and met with an American teacher in Saudi Arabia who got offer of 1400 as well. He has been teaching English for more than 15 years. But I heard that the place is very boring and Ibra is just a village, but Omanis are great, great nature indeed! all teachers praise Omanis.

Not this teacher.
ESL Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Is ELS still running the GFP? Reply with quote

Hi good people,

Could anyone please tell me whether ELS is still running the GFP there?

Thanks kindly.
La Reve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Sharqiya University? Reply with quote

ELS was kicked out of Sharqiya a year or two ago.

Since they're now advertising for 40 teachers.... you should understand that means most of the present teachers are leaving.

I hear it's a horrendous place, and 1,400 OR with or without housing is not enough compensation for the stress - unless you've been unemployed for a while.

Many of the private universities and colleges in Oman are not pleasant to work at. The only places I sometimes liked and respected were the Ministry of Manpower's Colleges of Technology. Those colleges were much more organized, so the stress levels were not as deadly as the Univ. of Buraimi and Sharqiya.
Expat101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Reve, you hear it's 'horrendous.' How so? Why aren't there any teachers on here complaining about it if it's that bad? I would like to know details Confused Were there problems with visas, payment, health insurance or serious abuse?
La Reve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Sharqiya University? Reply with quote

I heard news from a friend of a friend who was my friend when I lived in Oman. Housing, students, books. If I had found info about the U of Buraimi on Dave's I wouldn't have accepted the job, but I didn't. When I ran into trouble, then I found one guy's complaint somewhere on the net.

So. It's your life. Do what you want. People will warn you about crossing the street, or, as friends did for my first overseas job, about how dangerous it is, Saudi Arabia, before the internet. I still went. Glad I did. BUT the U of Buraimi was one of THE WORST places I ever worked in my life, and I've been doing this since '84. I think Sharqiya may have the same exact problems at U of Buraimi.

Plus the insurance guy was trained in the USA, and I had to pay $5,000 for an operation any government college would have covered for free. Just be aware of the possible problems you may encounter, and have a back-up plan.
Expat101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Reve, problems with books and students? Isn't that par for the course if you're going to be employed in this field? After all, isn't this business run by a bunch of greedy, incompetent, power players who couldn't manage a piss up in a brothel? Sorry to sound so cynical, but in this real day and age the truth is out and well-managed places that really teach English (as a whatever language) are practically unheard of. Sounds like you've been incredibly fortunate over the past thirty years.

I have no idea what you are talking about with this 'insurance guy' and how this relates to Sharqiya University, but I sure hope you aren't trying to get this thread locked by throwing in a bunch of completely unrelated topics. I don't think this is a 'free discussion' where anything goes here. Some people are trying to make life decisions based on this information, so pertinent details would be extremely helpful.
pret a porter

Location: Somewhere on the globe, in front of a computer screen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contacts who are still with ELS/ELES/ITES, (or whatever they're calling themselves now) have informed me the company is currently in a long drawn out lawsuit with ASU in the Omani Labour Courts regarding breach of contract and non payments.

If you accept a position with ASU, it's advisable to keep you luggage packed and your passport within reach in case you need to make a swift trip out of there if things go south...
La Reve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Sharqiya University? Reply with quote

About private, non-governmental insurance.

I needed cataract surgery. The insurance man, over the phone, said, "Yes."

My ELS supervisors said maybe not. Asking other teachers, I was told to have the operation and give the receipts to ELS. On one phone call with the company, I declined going to one of their hospitals because I had chosen a clinic in Muscat that was very up-to-date with European doctors. Since I'm blind in one eye, if anything went wrong with my good eye, I'd be blind. Unable to read, etc. So where I had the operation was very important.

I gave the papers to ELS. Waited for the refund. Didn't get it. Papers not sent to agency, so the insurance company said. I couldn't keep waiting for the reimbursement to pay for the second eye to be done, so I had the second eye done. I personally took the receipts for both operations to Vipul Insurance company in Muscat, handed them in. Was told to return in two weeks to pick up a check.

I returned in two weeks, and the 'American trained' insurance man, said, "No, the operation wasn't covered...." Came up with "You have to be insured for one year before you qualify...." then, "pre-existing condition"... Very well trained in American insurance fraudulent behavior.

Not one of my fondest experiences in Oman. My frustration lead me to be argumentative in the insurance office. I was reported to ELS. And for this show of anger, I was given an official written warning... three of those and you're fired by your company, legally, in Oman.

So that's what I meant about private insurance.You never know how bad or good you have it until you need it. Government coverage is MUCH better!
Expat101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Reve, I still don't see how your experience relates to Sharqiya University. This is a direct hire position. I'm glad they are not dealing with third party agents! I've personally had enough of them!

As for your official written warning, I'm fairly certain that they could have dismissed you without a warning. But, again, that has nothing to do with Sharqiya University.
La Reve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Sharqiya University? Reply with quote

Sorry for not communicating well.

Sharqiya University may have a similar insurance company. Government coverage is excellent in Omani government colleges. After my experience with the one private college, yes, I am generalizing a bit too much. However, if I were going to accept a position at a private Omani college, I would ask for insurance coverage. I would ask to get the paperwork, etc. You never know when you are going to end up in a hospital.
Salalah Man

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Sharqiya University? Reply with quote

Sharqiya University advertised for ESL teachers back in early April. I've applied but heard nothing. Has anybody received a response yet?
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sharqiya University? Reply with quote

Salalah Man wrote:
Sharqiya University advertised for ESL teachers back in early April. I've applied but heard nothing. Has anybody received a response yet?

I worked there the first year of operations back in 2010, and decided to apply just to have a laugh.

I surprisingly heard back from them within less than a day, giving me an initial offer letter with NO phone interview or asking for references.

This is the same unprofessional nonsense that they were pulling five years ago. If they've still not gotten their act together, that speaks volumes about their organization and working environment.
bagua8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed for this university, was told at the end of the interview that I would be sent a formal job offer "in a couple of days", then . . . nothing!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Man a formal job offer and you have heard nada.....welcome to the world of EFL OH MAN!!! Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: