Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KBZAC- AL AIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trinity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: KBZAC- AL AIN Reply with quote

[size=12]
Unlike the ESL Café’s postings would have it, there are more to it than the one-sided versions suggest.
Many accusations are made against the new supervisor of the English Program at Khalifa Bin Zayed Air College, and some pretty low blows are dealt. An employee’s personal life and choices hardly has bearing on work situations, unless they directly affect ability to perform the job satisfactorily. The version depicting the English program as having been in a shambles at the time of her take-over, surfaces relentlessly. Also, that she was not welcomed by teachers because it implied that they would they could not continue with their Khalli Whalli way of doing their jobs. Expectations set by her were hardly compatible with what was going on at the time. These were expectations prevalent in most work places all over the world- punctuality, perfect attendance (to the extent possible), following of protocols, going the extra mile. Imagine a situation where the supervisor finds herself being constantly sabotaged by her line manager at the time, working with the teachers against the new supervisor all the time. She comes in like a proper new broom, and all efforts to sweep clean are hijacked by her line manager and some of the teachers. Word also has it that not all of the terminated teachers were putting their best feet forward, and had the encouragement of the previous coordinator to thank for that. The current supervisor was allegedly the first in a long time to take a genuine interest in improving the quality of the program.
The image being portrayed of her is that of an extremely unreasonable and incompetent person, who has no regard for her teachers. However, others have reported that she could actually be approachable, caring about faculty, even fighting for the jobs of some who were in danger of losing theirs. Has she made some errors in judgment? Sure- she should have given these teachers the benefit of the doubt when she started anew, she should have done more to familiarize herself with the particular work environment, which is very different to that of HCT Proper. Could a warning have sufficed, instead of terminating the contracts of SIX teachers? That being said, there was open sabotage of anything she tried to put into place, whatever she tried to do at KBZ, was with the bare minimum of support from the majority of teachers, and those who supported her, suffered too.
It has been a long and harrowing haul, but in most cases such as these, it gets worse before it gets better. Maybe it’s time for KBZAC to move forward :D
BrownSauce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's one voice in favor (sort of), and half a dozen against.

Any more contributors to this thread care to voice their opinion?
Walter Raymond

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely more than half a dozen against.

I was on the staff at KBZAC from Sept 11 to June 12 and I am not one of the group who were terminated – my contract came to a natural end - so I have no disgruntled axe to grind, nor do I need to hide behind an anonymous nom de plume.

I too deplore some of the "low blows" that have been dealt in this thread towards the current Supervisor, but sadly, as a first hand witness, I still cannot agree with either Veiled Sentiments or Trinity and I wonder where they have got their information from, because it does not correlate with my own experience.

For example, when I started in Sept 2011, I saw no evidence of a “program [that] had turned into a complete disaster.” On the contrary, I found a team that was working well together, and making the best of a programme that had changed three times in three years. The “terrible mess” did not come till later, especially after the capable Co-ordinator of the past 5 yrs was unceremoniously removed from her job in June 2012. This Co-ordinator, for example, regularly spent large chunks of her weekend making up a timetable that would fit in with the vagaries of the Air Force schedule for the following week – and still managed to keep up a full teaching load during the week – often teaching double classes, because the department was short staffed. Yet, after her departure, it took two teachers to do the same job, and each with only a part time teaching load.

The metaphor of the new broom coming in to sweep out the lazy old guard sounds good, but it is a myth. The reality is that there was no old guard – or only three, to be precise – and ironically, two of those were retained – both of them female. The rest of us were all new and it was four of our new guard who got "swept out" – curiously ALL males – two of whom I had worked with elsewhere and respected highly for their ultra-professional work.

As for the claim that “the teachers terminated were those with serious issues of NOT teaching their courses ... showing videos and allowing the students to cheat blatantly,” if this was the case, why were they never charged with it, and why were they never given the opportunity to defend themselves, rather than being sent off mid-contract with no reasons given? – After all these were teachers who had worked in the HCT system for up to 15 years and more, with no previous issues.

So what is my personal opinion of this supervisor? – I would prefer not to commit myself on this forum. However, of this I am sure: although Veiled Sentiments claims to know of other “teachers who think the new supervisor is doing a good job trying to fix a terrible mess that wasn't caused by her”, I personally know of none.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My source(s) are currently there and I have passed on their comments to me from private communications.

Whenever a place implodes in this manner, there will those that agree with the new group and those who go with the old. The decision for change was brought from upper management who were apparently extremely unhappy with what was going on... that would be HCT, would it not? They are the ones who sent in to "new broom" to clean out those who they felt were not doing the job as they wanted.

Not being there, I assume that there is some truth on both sides... and those on the losing side will be bitter and unhappy as was shown here. Hopefully they will move on to better jobs. This situation reminds me very much of what HCT upper management did at ADW a few years back. Yet I have friends who stayed through it all... and some that were hired new and are getting along fine once the dust settles. Not a fun job while it is happening though...

VS
robinbanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so,walter raymond,were the two Canadian women still there?one crusty on the outside but nice underneath,the other vice versa.What about the irish guy who supervised for a long time-he was employed by KBZAC and did not come under the HTC line of fire.Did the african-american lady stay.Al Ain was a small place back in the mid-2000's-UGRU/AAMC/UGRu all meeting at the 'Jockey"Thursday night to exchange goss....sorry,vital pieces of information. so pretty much everybody knew what was going on-a lot of the men jumped ship and went to UGRU.A lot of the women then came,checked it out and stuck with it-veni vidi velcro as they say in latin.[/i]
The Caliph

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: New Year and more hiring at KBZ Reply with quote

Hi all -

Not new to Al Ain but recently joined KBZ - yes, yes despite reading horrible things. I don't know what it was like before, but so far so good. New admin turned things around apparently for the new year.

They are hiring numerous new teachers for the new year - ongoing as we speak. So if you are interested (and I don't want to start another raucous round of who-did-what as I wasn't here whilst the fur was a-flying) go onto the HCT site and apply.

The Caliph speaks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends there say that this semester... thus far... things are looking much more positive.

VS
robinbanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who do you guys come under now?Are you with CERT?Are you allowed internet these days?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: