Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A CELTA certificate and International School jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hnf2780

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: A CELTA certificate and International School jobs Reply with quote

Is it possible to get International school jobs in Bangkok or elsewhere in Thailand with prior English teaching abroad and a CELTA certificate? Possibly a long shot but it`s possible in Shanghai where I used to live. I`ll be doing a CELTA course in March. Thanks
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: A CELTA certificate and International School jobs Reply with quote

hnf2780 wrote:
Is it possible to get International school jobs in Bangkok or elsewhere in Thailand with prior English teaching abroad and a CELTA certificate? Possibly a long shot but it`s possible in Shanghai where I used to live. I`ll be doing a CELTA course in March. Thanks

It depends on the school.

If they are "international" in name only then possibly they could hire you but it is unlikely unless you are lucky since there usually is a large enough pool of certified teachers for them to choose from (Bangkok is a popular destination).

Those schools that have accreditation from an international accreditation agency/body are probably required by that accreditation body to have teachers who hold a valid teacher certification (B.Ed, teachers license, PGCE, QTS) and would not be able to hire you even if they wanted to.

All that said, there ARE other options.

You could try for positions as an EFL teacher in a public school, EFL or subject teacher in an EP (English Program) or mini EP (public or private), or a private Bilingual school.

Get a 60-day, double entry tourist visa, and be on the ground from April 1 to May 15 and odds of a decent job in a k-12 school are about 100%.

plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You generally have to go where the jobs are. If you can get a job at an international school in Shianghai without K-12 experience as a licensed teacher then that's what I would do. In Bangkok even the less impressive international schools have licensed teachers with K-12 experience trying to get the jobs, even in the small cities like Chiang Rai. Generally if you try to get a job for international schools from recruiters that recruit for schools worldwide they want 5 years K-12 experience in your own country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: