Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unfair Advantage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anybody believe that when applying for work with the majority of Chinese employers you get any clear idea of what your future duties will entail??????

If you don't want to do the job, just don't take the money. Changing work conditions are normal in a work place. Many professional people have had to take a cut in pay or simply leave the job due to the changing work requirement.

Quote:
I know NoBillyNo - works for a British University entrance program, that's strongly controlled by a British institution - and I guess being clear of totally Chinese run enterprise, a more professional and ordered workplace where you have more of guarantee that you're going to employed as teacher rather than entertainment monkey, could be one of the major reasons he sticks at that job.

My work description sometimes changes during the contracted time and if anyone thinks that foreign owned programs (by the way most are just franchise programs) care anymore about Chinese labor law is in for a shock. Professional; ha! what a laugh, as many institution are just as worried about putting "bums" in seats and have to deal with immigration control as well.
chinadad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My work description sometimes changes during the contracted time and if anyone thinks that foreign owned programs (by the way most are just franchise programs) care anymore about Chinese labor law is in for a shock. Professional; ha! what a laugh, as many institution are just as worried about putting "bums" in seats and have to deal with immigration control as well.

there you are folks - from the horses mouth - any teachers wanting a professional and ethical workplace - don't come to China!!!!!!
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there you are folks - from the horses mouth - any teachers wanting a professional and ethical workplace - don't come to China!!!!!!

Teachers can always survive, tht is if they are smart enough. Since my illustration was for a British University it would bear witness that many if not all institution depends on economic success to continue operation. The idea that this poster is using my posts to prove his ideas are more like the stuff that come out of the south end of a "norte" bound horse rather than the horse's mouth.
bbjessz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: personal Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
Don't take it personally bbjessz.

They want whoever they think will make them money. They care about nothing else.

EF will not hesitate in firing some-one if they think they can replace that person with someone who makes them more money.

EF treat people like commodities. To them, you are not a human being.

Thanks, I know. I was just thrown off because I've been preparing for 3 weeks already. I'm actually quite happy this came up before I actually joined them and signed a contract. Who knows what shit they will throw at me if I get stuck in their centres.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBillyNO wrote:

Instead we see FT's complaining about a situation that they agreed to in the beginning.

WOW! Misquote of the century. How many people start their job where the contract says "18 teaching hours a week" only to be told they must stay in the office from 9 to 5 as that is the company rule?

Just one prime example I think
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NoBillyNO wrote:

Instead we see FT's complaining about a situation that they agreed to in the beginning.

WOW! Misquote of the century. How many people start their job where the contract says "18 teaching hours a week" only to be told they must stay in the office from 9 to 5 as that is the company rule?

Just one prime example I think

An example of not reading the contract and asking questions.

Look, no one is going to coddle workers, especially in China and to expect that is to live in an employment world that is a fantasy. Under my contract I have a limited amount of classroom hours but also included are times when to get the job done you need to give additional effort that is not specified in my contract. I have seem many go in the last 7 years of working in my present position and much of the time it was due to them not giving what was needed to actually complete the mission. If I ever heard of anyone making the complaint you have posted, they would never get past initial interview as this is in the vein one of the questions. Not true, no one is making anyone accept a contract but the advantages and earnings one can make from a a job obtained by having a reputation of going the extra mile and working within the norm of employment is more worthwhile then the petty complaint you have noted. But hey, if complaining is more important to you than doing a job well, then that is your decision.
If it is not stated in your contract but is a normal operation procedure, stop whining and learn to ask questions at the employment interview.

Last edited by NoBillyNO on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at ED many moons ago, and actually enjoyed my time there. I was offered a DOS position years later from a headhunter but refused because after checking it out, discovered that EF can be hit and miss. Every location is different depending on the management or owners. To me, EF is just like McDonalds but they sell English not burgers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: