Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to get teach credentials or IB cert abroad...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: how to get teach credentials or IB cert abroad... Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is possible to get teach credentials abroad?

- and -

What is the difference between getting teach credentials and getting a Certificate in Advanced IB Studies?

Does this look like the best way to go?
Link I found on department of state site for IB studies

- and -

Alternative licensure program to prepare teachers for international assignments - This program is designed for those who have a bachelor's degree, want a teaching credential, and are interested in teaching overseas:

http://fasttrain.gmu.edu/

I have tried to understand what the difference is between the two but maybe if someone who knows told me I would get it.

And like some I am already abroad.
So, I'm looking for something I can do without ever being on campus.
I guess it would have to be completely on line.
And I would have to be able to use my teaching hours I gain abroad toward my credential program -
if thats even possible.[/url]
Cherrysoda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.teacherready.org is a completely online certification program based in Florida. You can get your teacher credential within 9 months. Upon finishing the program, you also get 12 credit hours into a masters of education degree at the University of West Florida.

You can get certified to teach in anything even if it is not your major. Throughout the program, you have to do field experiences by going into schools and observing, tutoring, ect. At the end of the program you teach for one week in a classroom and your finished. If you are already teaching, all of the field experience requirements can be done in your own classroom like mine. I've had several friends complete the program. Total costs about 4,500 dollars but you can pay in installments for 8 months or 14 months. They are very flexible and I think the best program for people who want to get certified to teach while abroad.

I am currently in the middle of the program and teach ESL in South Korea.
chica88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherrysoda wrote:
www.teacherready.org is a completely online certification program based in Florida. You can get your teacher credential within 9 months. Upon finishing the program, you also get 12 credit hours into a masters of education degree at the University of West Florida.

You can get certified to teach in anything even if it is not your major. Throughout the program, you have to do field experiences by going into schools and observing, tutoring, ect. At the end of the program you teach for one week in a classroom and your finished. If you are already teaching, all of the field experience requirements can be done in your own classroom like mine. I've had several friends complete the program. Total costs about 4,500 dollars but you can pay in installments for 8 months or 14 months. They are very flexible and I think the best program for people who want to get certified to teach while abroad.

I am currently in the middle of the program and teach ESL in South Korea.

WOW...

That is not a bad price compared to what I been seeing.
I think I prefer the do the teaching credential thing.
To be honest the IB stuff has always been kinda confusing to me.

Just one more question...

Are you a resident of Florida?
Because I am not.
I was trying to figure out if I would be charged out of state fees.
Either way thanks for the info and I will be contacting them this week for more information.
Cherrysoda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chica88,

No, I am not a resident of Florida. I'm actually from Texas. The same tuition applies for everyone.

Also, the IB credential you speak of, if I'm not mistaken, that is something that already certified teachers obtain after they have their teaching credential. It's like an extra endorsement for people who want to be able to teach IB classes.

Lots of times, especially in international schools, they train in-house and you don't have to pay yourself to obtain this extra endorsement.

After my ESL jobs in Korea, I want to move into international schools around the world. All you need to do that is have a teaching credential from any state in the USA or where ever country you are from. Of course, I eventually want to move back to the states and teach in Texas.

You have to look which states will accept the a teaching certification from Florida. (Which states are reciprocle) Most states do. With my home state, I have to take a few more tests to get certified in the state of Texas, but I don't have to do more course work. In some states you will have to start all over. They have all of the information online.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After my ESL jobs in Korea, I want to move into international schools around the world.
All you need to do that is have a teaching credential from any state in the USA or where ever country you are from.

This is a bit imprecise. Most of the better international schools also want teachers to have at least two years experience teaching in their home countries. Further, job openings in the more 'desirable' countries can be fairly rare and quite competitive.

Not that you may not find a position with what you've described, but it won't make the world your oyster, so to speak.

Last edited by spiral78 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
chica88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya...

I saw on line someone talking about the 2 year thing for experience.
It's that old saying that if no one gives you the experience how do you get it.

I am just at the point of my life that I am trying to do my best.
Never have a felt at any point that the world was my oyster.
Some fall ass backwards into money and jobs, but not me, not ever.
I'm just trying to get my credentials which may or may not help to get a job and keep food on the table.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying you won't find a job, by any means. I think you're doing the right thing to work on further quals - and kudos to you!

Just that it can come across as misleading when people write things like the poster I've quoted. A little more realism is probably warranted.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chica88 wrote:
Ya...

I saw on line someone talking about the 2 year thing for experience.
It's that old saying that if no one gives you the experience how do you get it.

Better / best jobs want credentials, experience etc.

Entry level jobs want credentials and give you the time to get your experience (hence why they are entry level).

A teacher's cert. won't get you a "best" job but will certainly get you in the door at the entry level to get the experience you need to move up.

Cherrysoda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I am not saying you won't find a job, by any means. I think you're doing the right thing to work on further quals - and kudos to you!

Just that it can come across as misleading when people write things like the poster I've quoted. A little more realism is probably warranted.

I've done extensive research. You can get a job at an international school with no experience. I even have two friends who were hired at international schools without having finished their certification. Granted it won't be the best school around, but you can work your way up to get that experience OP.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've done extensive research. You can get a job at an international school with no experience. I even have two friends who were hired at international schools without having finished their certification. Granted it won't be the best school around, but you can work your way up to get that experience OP

Again, I'm not saying that you can't. I'm just trying to limit the implication (below) that international jobs all over the world will be open to someone with very basic quals. That's not really the case; the better jobs in the more desirable locations still won't be easy - or even possible, in many cases - to get.

Quote:
After my ESL jobs in Korea, I want to move into international schools around the world.
All you need to do that is have a teaching credential
from any state in the USA or where ever country you are from
chica88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherrysoda wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

I've done extensive research. You can get a job at an international school with no experience. I even have two friends who were hired at international schools without having finished their certification. Granted it won't be the best school around, but you can work your way up to get that experience OP.

I have to state that I have had issues in finding 'good schools' abroad to work at.
Having worked abroad teaching I would appreciate a truly good school.
I do think if one finds a nice school they can work up the ladder.
However, finding good schools abroad sometimes seems close to impossible.
I'm dealing with schools in Asia.
I'm not working in Asia now nor do I know anyone working there personally.
If you know some great schools in Asia please do drop some names,
I'm all ears.
Even if the nice schools your friends are working at are not in Asia I would still be willing to check into them because good schools are hard to find.

There are schools abroad which will hire you without ESL certification and without credentials.
My husband is not even a citizen of a country schools prefer to hire from like the US, NZ or the UK and schools have offered my husband work without him applying.
But, the question is not if one can find work abroad.
The question is, can one find employment at a good school?
That question is always more hairy and not easily answered.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherrysoda wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

There are many local schools who use English as a medium for education that are not truely international schools and don't pay any better than local schools.

Last edited by JZer on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Cherrysoda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Cherrysoda wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

There are many local schools who use English as a medium for education that are not truely local schools and don't pay any better than local schools.

Not truly local schools?? Huh? Not truly international schools you mean? Yes, I am aware of this. I also think that the information given should be redirected to the OP instead of me. Obvioulsy, I should have mentioned the general 2 year requirement, but failed to do so. Now can we move on instead of constantly belittling the advice I have given?

OP, yes good schools can be hard to find, but they are out there. Just like in any job, you have to start at the bottom. The bottom doesn't always have to be terrible schools though. Most of the time it is word of mouth that you will hear about what schools are best. Though, the director of a school could change and that "good" school could turn into a "bad" school pretty quickly.

What credentials do you have? Just a bachelors? If you are looking just to teach ESL, look into getting your celta. An MA in TESOL can also go pretty far. If you want to teach in international schools, get your teaching credential, 2 years teaching experience, and then work your way up into the best schools.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chica88 wrote:

I have to state that I have had issues in finding 'good schools' abroad to work at.
Having worked abroad teaching I would appreciate a truly good school.
I do think if one finds a nice school they can work up the ladder.
However, finding good schools abroad sometimes seems close to impossible.
I'm dealing with schools in Asia.
I'm not working in Asia now nor do I know anyone working there personally.
If you know some great schools in Asia please do drop some names,
I'm all ears.
Even if the nice schools your friends are working at are not in Asia I would still be willing to check into them because good schools are hard to find.

???????? Rolling Eyes

If you are at home now then get certified then start looking.
If you are not at home you can pretty much rule out getting "home country certification" and that necessary "2 years of home country experience".

Try looking for bilingual schools in Thailand to get your feet wet. Get a teacher's license (after 2015 it will be transferable across ASEAN with a minimum of fuss).

You can also look at jobs in government schools in Korea but your spouse may not be able to work (legally). Spousal visas (F3) are easy enough to get.

If you want to be a "teacher" then quit looking on entry level ESL/EFL boards.

If you want to be a proper "university lecturer" then get qualified and move up (MA at a minimum (MATESOL is a terminal degree)).

If you want a good "school" then look at schools and not language academies (which are NOT schools).

Where have you been looking or working that you haven't been able to find a "good school"?

4 universities in China and you have NO contacts in Asia?

Time to start networking, attending a few workshops and conferences.
Better jobs won't be found on EFL boards or recruiter websites.

It is all about who you know and even more importantly, who knows you and what you can do.

chica88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original questions posted were:

Does anyone know if it is possible to get teach credentials abroad?

- and -

What is the difference between getting teach credentials and getting a Certificate in Advanced IB Studies?

I did contact 'teach ready' in Florida.
For others who may be interested in getting credentials they do have a set up to get them abroad.
And they seem to have a fairly straightforward payment plan.

I will attempt to contact the other school in Texas which has a credential program where one can apply working abroad.
I will post the details when I get them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: