Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State certified teacher - Need Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesk2013

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: State certified teacher - Need Advice Reply with quote

I am a newly qualified teacher from Canada. I have a Master of Teaching degree which certifies me to teach in Ontario. I want to get some ESL teaching experience in the Middle East because of the lucrative opportunities it will offer but I don't know where to start. I don't have post-qualification teaching experience which I know disqualifies me from most jobs in the Middle East.

For teachers currently teaching in KSA, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi, what advice would you give to new teachers? Where is a good place to start to build those 4 year experience to land those jobs?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unclear if you're looking to teach children or adults. Anyway, do you have any teaching experience? If so, what did it entail and where was it? Also, did your degree program include a teaching practicum? If not, do you have a TEFL cert (e.g., CELTA or equivalent cert)?
Jamesk2013

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. I am a primary school trained teacher. I completed two practicums and an internship accruing to 7 months teaching experience. I'm hoping to stick to teaching ESL at primary school level. I hope this clarifies my situation.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to teachaway.com to see what requirements are needed for international/k-12 schools in this region and for other parts of the world. And yes, you're right; for the Gulf, you'll generally need 2 years of experience post-teaching license. However, if you're willing to give Egypt a look, check out the thread, "How are things in Cairo these days?" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=98598).

But in answer to your question about starting out, Asia (usually China and Korea) seems to be where newbies first gain their experience before coming to this part of the world. Another option would be to stay in Canada, build a couple of years of teaching experience there, and then head abroad.
USAMATHMAN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also look into international schools. Search associates is a pretty good organization that most of the top international schools recruit through. www.searchassociates.com

Pretty sure you can find a decent position with them depending on your subject area.

Best of luck!!!
abayababy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have post-qualification teaching experience which I know disqualifies me from most jobs in the Middle East.

From my observations on the ground, I don't think this this is a hard and fast rule, though it is oft stated on this forum. My advice would be to try anyway.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem - and it is both real and all too common - is that there are employers that will hire anyone who is breathing. The catch is that the pay will be low, the benefits will be elusive (ie disappear into the pockets of the school owners), the management will be both inept and often abusive, and the worst students and parents will be the ones who run the show and decide your future. This is what the warnings are trying to help new teachers avoid.

It is a part of the world where bad employers are particularly bad. To get the decent jobs you need to be able to tick the boxes the better employers want - a particular degree - certification - related experience.

That said, many dive in with their eyes open and spend a year or two collecting data for that retirement novel. Cool But best to make sure that they know what they are getting into and whether there may be better options to get experience.

VS
Keskaa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd almost be inclined to say that this is not the place to get initial experience. Like VS said, the bad employers here are particularly bad. On the flip side, you might get lucky and get a good employer. However, without a couple years of experience, you'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel in many cases.

If you go with a bad employer, you will probably be taken advantage of in one way or another. Pay will often be around half of what ADEC or international school teachers will get, hours will be long, you'll probably take work home, and you might have a commute. I know of several teachers here who do not have air conditioning or hot water either, so you run the risk of sub-standard housing as well. That being said, you might NOT run into this problem. Nothing is for certain here.

In terms of recruiters...

Search Associates, for example, hires for international schools worldwide, but most of those schools have a huge "Wish List" for teachers, including several years teaching experience, IB experience, and international teaching experience. It's a VERY competitive market.

Teach Away hires for Abu Dhabi public (ADEC) and private schools as well as Dubai somewhat. They also deal with hiring for multiple other countries. That's who I got hired through, and they were great. However, I've been hearing that they are upping their requirements and not letting anyone with less than 2 years teaching experience through anymore (cannot confirm this however).

I would highly recommend getting your initial years of experience in Asia. It still counts for ADEC, and if you work with adults, it will help open doors for you as well. The kids here can be rough (unmotivated, very low English leading to misunderstandings, vague curriculum, no resources) and you gotta have good classroom management skills to keep them sitting down for more than 5 minutes at a time. This is something that I'm still working on but getting better every day. Just make sure that, if you do come, you know that you are getting yourself into a crapshoot of possibilities! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: