Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL teachers in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
connieko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: TEFL teachers in the UK Reply with quote

Hey there! i was wondering, can EFL teachers work in state schools in England? (for example, to teach English as an Additional Language to non-native students?) If so, do you need to have a PGCE for that?
artemisia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think schools can officially apply for a limited number of teachers without a school teaching qualification if there's a real need that they can't otherwise cover. This will almost certainly not be the case for ESL/EAL in schools in the UK. A lot of state school teachers have English language quals, especially those who teach English as a core subject. Jobs don't seem to be that frequent for EAL alone. It's not impossible, but it's not easy to find this kind of work as a fully qualified state teacher - not in secondary anyway. Primary schools might have more options for those with experience of (very) young learners.

The PGCE is one example of a recognised state school teaching qualification. If you have another from a different country, you can generally apply to have it recognised in the UK.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All presuming the OP has the legal right already to work in the UK, of course.
Kofola

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a regular state school, the only way you could actually teach EAL/ESL would be to have QTS. It would be possible to work as a teaching assistant in this area without QTS, but the pay reflects the fact that TAs are unqualified. I know one outer London borough pays around 9 GBP an hour, so you'd prob get less outside London. It depends on the LEA.

There are of course the new 'free schools'. This aspect doesn't seem to have been publicised much, but they don't come under the same legislation as regular state schools and can actually employ anyone to teach regardless of whether they have any qualifications or not. It's up to the school who they hire and what hiring criteria they set. So that might be one option.
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off-topic, but:

�Something is rotten is the state of [England].�
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9433002/Academies-given-power-to-hire-unqualified-teachers.html
connieko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the information! Then I guess, a PGCE is the only choice, as there are no BA in TESOL with QTS.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGCE or QTS required in England and Scotland.
Kofola

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PGCE or QTS required in England and Scotland.

This is misleading. It's not a choice between QTS and a PGCE. You need QTS full stop and you can either get it by doing a BA Ed or by doing a PGCE/PGDE.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that. My concern was to highlight the difference bwteen the two jurisdictions. Scotland and England have separate sytems.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was struck by the article relating to the recruitment of unqualified teachers at many schools in the U.K. I agree that a level of professionalism is necessary but the reality is that a PGCE is not necessary to teach, especially if you were given a chance to learn the basic tools of the trade while working overseas and you have a little/ some /considerable experience. So it seems a logical step forward to transfer those skills elsewhere if the opportunity arises. The big question in my mind is, is it worth it, does the job pay enough for me to want to jump ship?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: