Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US citizen got summer camp job - worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chica88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: US citizen got summer camp job - worth it? Reply with quote

Ironically, I just got offered a summer job in the UK even though I am a US citizen.
They are aware of my citizenship.

The job is for summer camp only.
But, it is at a IB school.

My question is general.
Has anyone ever heard of a new teacher working for summer camp and afterward because of contact made they got hired?

Or...

Because the teacher applied around the area they got hired at another school in UK after summer camp?

Or...

Would it be a cold day in hell when any of those things would happen?

I have intentions of starting on my teaching credentials.
And I thought an IB school would be nice to be at - but - it is only summer camp.
I'm just throwing the question out there trying to get a feel of if I can get something more out of the summer camp position.

One last detail:

They did tell me I will have to pay for my own work visa.
So, I kinda think that unless I get a chance to make contacts the job may cost me more than I make.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have intentions of starting on my teaching credentials

Ok, I'm not the very best poster to answer your question as I've never lived/worked in the UK. However, my MA is from Birmingham (not Alabama, obviously) and I do network with quite a few UK schools. Further, I've worked exclusively with colleagues from the UK for the past 7 years or so, so I can report what they say on this.

Short answer: cold day in hell, as you say.

They can give you a summer camp gig because it's so short-term that you will be under the radar, and likely paid peanuts and worked 24/7.

But hoping to get a regular job offer afterwards would be very over-optimistic, particularly given that your quote above would indicate you've got about the same quals that a high percentage of the 53,012,456 citizens of the country can claim (native speaker).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: