Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any chance of getting a job in Kuwait with a CELTA??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hnf2780

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Any chance of getting a job in Kuwait with a CELTA?? Reply with quote

I have eight years of English teaching experience in Japan and China. This includes English conversation school teaching, High schools, and a University. I don`t have a Masters Degree and I`m doing a CELTA in March. What are my chances with this and a CELTA? Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversation classes don't count for much in the Middle East. Also, they want to see experience after the CELTA.

Your pickings will be very slim.

VS
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Conversation classes don't count for much in the Middle East. Also, they want to see experience after the CELTA.

Your pickings will be very slim.

VS

Rolling Eyes
This, coming from someone who isn't even in Kuwait.

HNF, you do have a few options with adult classes. TQLS is looking for teachers right now. If you want to teach at an international school, some of the mid, to lower tier schools would hire you, depending upon what your undergrad degree is in.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hnf2780:

Your BA in History + conversation English experience + lack of experience post-CELTA will limit you. Slim pickings... Few options... Same thing.
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
hnf2780:

Your BA in History .

Where did the OP say anything about their degree?

HNF, depending on your undergraduate degree, there are jobs available in Kuwait. Again, no chance for the top tier schools, but there are a lot of schools that only require a BA + experience, depending on the type of BA.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

middeastgirl wrote:
HNF, you do have a few options with adult classes. TQLS is looking for teachers right now. If you want to teach at an international school, some of the mid, to lower tier schools would hire you, depending upon what your undergrad degree is in.

Ah TQLS... be sure to do a search on their checkered history. My point is that no decent employers will hire you. There are lots of very abusive employers in the mid-lower tier "international schools." Check and double check before taking jobs with them.

But that is all that is available in the Gulf with your limited credentials.

Quote:
Where did the OP say anything about their degree?

You might want to get control of your sarcasm. If you are going to answer a poster's questions, it is always a good idea to do a little search of their posts. He told us in another thread.

VS
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilesentiments wrote:

You might want to get control of your sarcasm.

That was a legitimate question. Nowhere on this thread did the OP mention a degree, and I had not read any other threads.

You can discourage the OP all you want, but the fact remains, MANY schools throughout Kuwait only require an undergraduate degree and teaching experience. Good, and bad. I've been in Kuwait for 9+ years, and I currently work for a school with those reqirements. I would think the OP might want to listen to someone who currently resides in Kuwait, over someone who hasn't lived here for many years. I've read many of your replies to teachers who are looking for advice, and I don't remember one encouraging post.
hnf2780

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how is it working for some of these schools then? How is it to teach there? Are they mainly Kuwaiti students or other Arabs, etc? How is the expat lifestyle in Kuwait?
fcharteacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hnf2780 wrote:
So how is it working for some of these schools then? How is it to teach there? Are they mainly Kuwaiti students or other Arabs, etc? How is the expat lifestyle in Kuwait?

It really depends on the school, some schools are mainly Kuwaitis with the minority being Non-Kuwaiti students. Other schools (ex. NIS), are mainly non-Kuwaiti students. The expat lifestyle all boils down the person and their personality and preferences. Some expats come here, and leave within days because they just can't deal with the transition or culture shock; other expats love it and end up staying here for years, it becomes a second home to them. I think if you keep an open mind and heart and stay positive, you will enjoy any place you happen to move to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: