Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American International school in Lagos, Nigeria
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reneen1960

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: American International school in Lagos, Nigeria Reply with quote

Greetings Fellow Teachers,
I have been offered a position at this school. Does anyone have good or bad things to tell me about it? The job sounds almost to good to be true.
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: American International school in Lagos, Nigeria Reply with quote

reneen1960 wrote:
Greetings Fellow Teachers,
I have been offered a position at this school. Does anyone have good or bad things to tell me about it? The job sounds almost to good to be true.
Send an e-mail to Sue Stewart at the school ([email protected]) and she can tell you whether the job offer is real. Did you have a Skype interview? Is the person purporting to be from the school using an e-mail address that is not from the school? Is this person telling you that you have to pay the visa fee and pay for the flight? Did the person put you into contact with someone named Musa John (purporting to be from Air Nigeria) or Rowland Musa (purporting to be from Nigerian Immigration Service)? Do the e-mails have in the from line "on behalf of..."? (E.g. [email protected] on behalf of [email protected] <[email protected]>)? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," it's a scam.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: American International school in Lagos, Nigeria Reply with quote

Chancellor wrote:
Did you have a Skype interview? Is the person purporting to be from the school using an e-mail address that is not from the school? Is this person telling you that you have to pay the visa fee and pay for the flight? Did the person put you into contact with someone named Musa John (purporting to be from Air Nigeria) or Rowland Musa (purporting to be from Nigerian Immigration Service)? Do the e-mails have in the from line "on behalf of..."? (E.g. [email protected] on behalf of [email protected] <[email protected]>)? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," it's a scam.

Most of those I understand, but the Skype interview? There's plenty of legitimate jobs that hold only Skype or phone interviews in most of the world, and I don't see why it would be difficult in Africa.

~Q
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: American International school in Lagos, Nigeria Reply with quote

Qaaolchoura wrote:
Chancellor wrote:
Did you have a Skype interview? Is the person purporting to be from the school using an e-mail address that is not from the school? Is this person telling you that you have to pay the visa fee and pay for the flight? Did the person put you into contact with someone named Musa John (purporting to be from Air Nigeria) or Rowland Musa (purporting to be from Nigerian Immigration Service)? Do the e-mails have in the from line "on behalf of..."? (E.g. [email protected] on behalf of [email protected] <[email protected]>)? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," it's a scam.

Most of those I understand, but the Skype interview? There's plenty of legitimate jobs that hold only Skype or phone interviews in most of the world, and I don't see why it would be difficult in Africa.

~Q
Yes, I know that legitimate schools do Skype interviews. In this particular case, though, the Skype interview is part of the scam.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alarm bells tell me

SCAM
fractal75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+234 8175857960
Mr Moses Aliu.
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +2348189562601.

I had the same. I was supposed to pay the flight up front by contacting the scammer above.

The guy conducting the interview, who called himself Tim Travers, (and who looks nothing like the Tim Travers on the AISL site), is white. Video was working during the interview but audio was not. His IP address is - 209.85.219.68 - which is based in Mountain View, California. He told me the weather and life etc, was fine in Lagos. His return path email address is - [email protected] - not a genuine AISL address as far as I know.

This is a much more polished scam. Teacherly Skype interview questions. I will get a snapshot of the son of a b****h for all to see. Perhaps someone can call on him?

I'll have some fun with him tomorrow on Skype. Any suggestions welcome. The Police should be informed.
Chancellor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fractal75 wrote:
+234 8175857960
Mr Moses Aliu.
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +2348189562601.

I had the same. I was supposed to pay the flight up front by contacting the scammer above.

The guy conducting the interview, who called himself Tim Travers, (and who looks nothing like the Tim Travers on the AISL site), is white. Video was working during the interview but audio was not. His IP address is - 209.85.219.68 - which is based in Mountain View, California. He told me the weather and life etc, was fine in Lagos. His return path email address is - [email protected] - not a genuine AISL address as far as I know.

This is a much more polished scam. Teacherly Skype interview questions. I will get a snapshot of the son of a b****h for all to see. Perhaps someone can call on him?

I'll have some fun with him tomorrow on Skype. Any suggestions welcome. The Police should be informed.
If his IP address is in California, this might be something to turn over to the FBI.
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chancellor wrote:
If his IP address is in California, this might be something to turn over to the FBI.

The IP that fractal75 posted belongs to Google. It is the GMail server that sent the email from the "scammer's" GMail account; it doesn't belong to the scammer himself.
fractal75

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
Chancellor wrote:

The IP that fractal75 posted belongs to Google. It is the GMail server that sent the email from the "scammer's" GMail account; it doesn't belong to the scammer himself.

Ok, but it says 'X originating IP' What should I be looking for under 'headers and footers'?
fractal75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the scammer's photo. How do I upload?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fractal75 wrote:
I have the scammer's photo. How do I upload?

You can't upload to the site, except as your avatar. However you could upload it to one of the many free photo-hosting sites in the world, and link it between two img tags.

~Q
fractal75

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too complicated. If anyone wants it, PM me.
rtm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fractal75 wrote:
rtm wrote:
Chancellor wrote:

Ok, but it says 'X originating IP' What should I be looking for under 'headers and footers'?

It probably isn't in the headers. Google tends to hide that information for people, and shows the first point of origin of the message as the webmail server (Google's) that sends the message.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me US$1000 by Western Union and I can expedite your employment. It is also possible througfh our associates in Lagos, Abuja and Ibadan to open up lucrative business investments in West Africa.

These opportrunities are very limited and only open to pre-selected customers. We also provide online introcuction and dating agency, Nigerian passports and the services of Necromancers.
fractal75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meaning?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: