Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How viable a candidate am I for a teaching position?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maj0915

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: How viable a candidate am I for a teaching position? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I found this forum and was wondering if anyone could evaluate my prospects of finding a decent teaching position in China. I'm an American who just recently graduated from college in December with a degree in English and a very high GPA; while I was in school I spent a semester tutoring a non-native speaker (which lasted about four months.) In January, I began working as a volunteer ESL teacher at a non-profit which will give me an additional four months of teaching experience. In March, I will start another volunteer teaching position with children in an elementary school which should last for a month or two. I'm also planning on taking an online TEFL certification course, possibly through ITTT; the CELTA course nearest to my house is very expensive, and I'm not sure how many years I'm hoping to teach ESL, so I don't think I can justify the expense at this point; besides, from what I've read it doesn't seem like Chinese employers are particularly concerned about that sort of thing. I already have my Bachelor's in English, so with my current amount of teaching experience and assuming I am able to complete the certification course, will I be able to find a decent job in China? I'm concerned because I've read in a few places that two years of experience are preferred, but I will only have eight months or so between my tutoring, the volunteer ESL teacher position, and the volunteer teaching position at a local elementary school. I would prefer a "Tier 1" or "Tier 2" school with a decent salary.

I should probably also mention that I will only be 22 or 23 years old when I am ready to begin teaching overseas. Also, I will likely not be able to travel to China until this summer at the earliest. From what I've heard, it appears that the primary hiring seasons for the Fall are in April or May, but can anyone confirm/deny this?
lemak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How viable a candidate am I for a teaching position? Reply with quote

maj0915 wrote:
while I was in school I spent three semesters tutoring a non-native speaker (which lasted about fifteen months.)

Corrected your typo for you.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me.
I agree about the online. That's enough for now. If you get serious about this business you can look at CELTA or similar in a year or two.
We're coming up to the hiring season for Sept start so also good from a timing viewpoint.
Don't mention any volunteer teaching in your CV. It was ALL paid private tutoring - OK?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you Caucasian? If you're not, you still can, it just might not be as easy.

I'm assuming you don't have any STDs.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend saving your money and not doing the on-line TEFL course. You can easily find a job without it and just reading a few good books/searching youtube/reading forums like this etc, will prepare you well enough.
If you look on most reputable employers job adverts (I'm thinking outside of China especially) they all say they won't accept on-line certificates.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my online mainly for my own confidence levels.
I agree that my first employer probably didn't take too much notice and once established in the system, my later employers didn't bother.
I thought of making the same observations as johntp has.
A good dose of reality about the scene in China.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do they test you for STD's? I'm not aware of having any, but would hate to find out after arriving in China and then get kicked out of the country for it.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When do they test you for STD's?

When you get the physical. The blood test tells them what they need to know.
Babala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your age may be a problem in some places. Some cities are now not granting a work permit to anyone under 25. There are also cities that strictly enforce the 2 year experince rule.
litterascriptor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't spend money on an online cert.

here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/teflcertcoursefeb2013/

It's a nice way to get some ideas going and some of the basics down.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Quote:
When do they test you for STD's?

When you get the physical. The blood test tells them what they need to know.

What is the policy? Or does it vary by province?
litterascriptor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Policy for STD test has not varied in any of the provinces I've worked in. I've worked in five different ones so far and you must do an STD test.
FlyingJames

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A certain employer has told me that you need a Tefl certificate to gain your work visa in China. However, this only applies to certain provinces. I simply chose a province that doesn't have this requirement. China will accept online certificates apparently.

I'm not sure how truthful this is or which cities/provinces require a tefl for the working visa application process.

Best of luck, volunteering in a poor country is fantastic by the way. They would appreciate the help too and it's something that's on my bucket list.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

litterascriptor wrote:
Policy for STD test has not varied in any of the provinces I've worked in. I've worked in five different ones so far and you must do an STD test.

What is the policy? What happens if you have one?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't let you stay. That's one thing they are VERY adamant about. If you're not sure, why not get a quick jab at a local clinic?

Addressing the penultimate post: I submitted my TEFL cert to my current employer and they asked me what it was. I've heard that some places require it, but I've never been asked for one in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: