Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test-Prep Teaching Jobs in Dubai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Test-Prep Teaching Jobs in Dubai Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have any info about test-prep teaching in Dubai? I've looked online for jobs there and it seems that most positions are for international schools. Are there any institutions which focus on teaching IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, AP test prep and the like?

A little about me: I have been working in South Korea for six years. I taught at the top foreign language high school, which is South Korea's number one feeder school to Ivy League universities in the US and the SKY (top three) universities in South Korea. I currently teach at a TOEFL and SAT academy in Seoul. I am also the author of several TOEFL books, debate books, and other test prep books, each of which have sold thousands of copies. Additionally, I posses a B.A. in English composition from the University of South Carolina.

So are there any jobs for someone with my experience? If so, do they pay well? I currently make about US $6,500 a month for 20-25 hours of teaching per week and, if I go to Dubai, I would like to make a similar or greater amount.

Thank you for your insight.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to stay where you are. I don't see you duplicating this money doing "test prep." To be honest, I've never seen an ad looking for anyone with this skill in the Gulf. It seems to be more common in Asia.

I would think that there might be some test prep positions in the bigger International Schools, but we hear little about them here since this is an ESL/EFL board. The job fairs that are held around the US by the ISS (International Schools Services) may be the place to go for this type of job. Check out higheredjobs.com and the Chronicle of Higher Education.

The universities may have TOEFL or IELTS prep classes, but they require an MA + 3-5 years. Normally the teachers in the Foundations department do these courses if needed.

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have met a very few test prep teachers, but they are working under the table for dodgey employers. No protection against non-payment and certainly always the possibility of deportation.
Keskaa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also never heard of anyone doing test prep courses. I do know that IELTS is highly valued here, but I never seem to see anyone taking any actual courses for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: