Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Views on the Exile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Views on the Exile Reply with quote

Anyone read teh Exile. www.exile.ru

and what do you think of it?

M.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: spasibo ! Reply with quote

Greetings "M":

That's a new one. Didn't know there was an 'alternative' news-site in Moscow. I especially liked the poll on 'why America should invade Syria.' VERY funny! Laughing

Thanks for adding the link to our growing library, M.

Best wishes,
kEnt
M.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: The Exile Reply with quote

Kent,

The Exile is your basic freezine that you get it a lot of cities. But, all in English. It has been running for about 6 years in Moscow. The two Americans that run it have been in Moscow since 91. They trash the Moscow Times from time to time, as well as newspapers in the States, politics in Russia, etc.. . Quite a few people dont like the Exile. It is not what you would call a Proper paper. And they tend to insult people in various kinds of ways. The exile released a book in 2000 or so. It even got a review in the Economist. They also got their Andy Warhol spot on CNN at about the same time. U might get disgusted by some of their writing. But the Exile is spot on in many ways. Warning! the Exile is not a feminist haven. Try reading some of their back issues. Ames writes some brilliant stories on Russia.

M.

P.s. The Exile comes out in Moscow every fortnight and changes that often on the web as well.................M.
usfemme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa....have you seen their reviews on nightclubs?! I'm no feminist, but they sound like frat boys who consider cattle more intellectual than women! Nightclubs are rated (in part) on how easy it is to get laid in them, and the way they speak about women is extremely crass.
M.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Like I said Reply with quote

Like I said,

Not all of it is for the faint hearted. if you get past that it has bits and pieces that are quite good. I have a few Expat femmes friends as well as Russian femme friends who dont mind it. Toungue in Cheek as it were. but iF it does offend you, then The exile is Happy, they succeeded. As for me I have never been offended by it, but I am a bit more amoral than some readers out there

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to read the exile when I was in Russia. I did not find it offensive. I just had a quick look at the club guide online and thought the review of the Hungry Duck was honest and accurate - I obviously only went for the free drinks on ladies' night.

If you find the reviews offensive, take it as a warning to stay away from the clubs.
usfemme

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Hungry Duck last fall. And (what I remember, that is....) it certainly lived up to its reputation. I'm sure there are clubs similar to that in the US, but I don't know where!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: