Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Teachers!!! Beware -UCJ/Royal Commission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedouinteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: New Teachers!!! Beware -UCJ/Royal Commission Reply with quote

Due to the austerity measures in Europe and the USA at present, experienced, newly qualified, or those who have no experience, but must do something to make ends meet are now thinking of the Middle East as a means to solving their financial difficulties. While this is true, you should choose your next employer carefully. I mean, research them properly.

Here are some useful tips:

1. Make sure that you get the contract prior to departure (I know of several teachers who did not receive their contracts from UCJ until they were actually sitting down with the Royal Commission's HR officer (of which there are numerous) ;
2. If applying for a position at UCJ, make sure you get the "inflation allowance". This is 15% of your monthly basic pay, payable monthly-so it's well worth it. They are very short of teachers and will give in very easily (it just means less money for the Saudis to pocket!).
3. In the contract from UCJ(so I've been reliably informed), the part relating to housing starts " upon arrival at the employment location, the employee shall be given free family or single status housing for which he is eligible under the prevailing housing policy". THIS PART IS IMPORTANT IF YOU INTEND TO BRING YOUR FAMILY.
4. The Saudi requirement for EFL teachers is continuous. There are numerous advertisements on this great website and others like it. Therefore, it's a "buyers market"-shop around and get the best deal for you AND MORE IMPORTANTLY----YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!

Last edited by bedouinteacher on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaffa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 3 isn't true as there is a load of empty housing dotted around. Trouble is that with all the new housing that has been completed, the housing department spends all its time on that - new stuff that doesn't work, people complaining about colour of sofa, etc. - and they can't cope/won't even attemt to cope. The 100s on the list are simply waiting to be dealt with, it's not as if they are waiting for a house or apartment to be vacated.
bedouinteacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Facts! Reply with quote

No.3 is correct. The wording is in the contract-so don't tell me it's incorrect.

There are housing units which have recently been completed. However, if you bother to research your facts (as I did)-you will find that these are reserved for Saudis only (this means--not for foreigners-Is that clear?). Therefore, this means that there are no accommodation units currently available to foreigners. The idea is (and, in case you wish to dispute this- this is from the CEO's office), that when the Saudis eventually move out of their current units into the new ones, the ones vacated will become available for foreigners.

I hope that clarifies number 3 and Jaffa's other wise comments...?
jaffa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm saying is that there are 100s of old RC apartments vacant, Saudis long gone. Quite a few of them have been renovated in the last few years. You mentioned double standards and this is it - they will string you along, regardless of what is written in the contract.

The average RC teacher lasts about 2 years, so from past experience RC will ask why they should do all the extra paperwork that involves family, etc, if you're gone after a short time. That's their rationale. You may not agree with it, but you're banging your head against the wall trying to fight it.
bedouinteacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: RC Reply with quote

Have you any facts to support your opinions?
VOM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Housing Shortage in Jubail Reply with quote

Until recently JIC, JTI and JUC staff, Saudi and non Saudi have suffered so much due to a housing shortage. Royal Commission (RC) accommodation was gold and private landlords charged through the roof for rentals taking advantage of the very high demand in the area.

Thankfully however, this is beginning to change. New large housing projects are coming to completion, both for the local industry workers and RC employees.

As Saudis take up ownership of the new houses, at very preferential rates, more and more older units are available for rent on the private market. Many of these are perfectly habitable and since demand has eased somewhat, rental prices have leveled off.

So for new employees at any of the above colleges, new RC housing isn't yet available for expats. However, he can use his accommodation allowance and he will find some decent accommodation now; still pricey but perfectly acceptable.
jaffa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a fact, or do you have any opinions to support it? Wink
bedouinteacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: RC/UCJ Housing shame Reply with quote

VOM,

Let me guess, you must have a nice 2 bedroom apartment or a house?

I would like to clarify a few FACTS:

1. The housing allowance is not mentioned in the contract (fact);
2. The housing allowance is 3 x basic salary. Given that the salary for new teachers is below 10,000SAR per month (including the transport allowance), this does NOT go a long way in Jubail. Consider if you will, that the allowance for accommodation DOES NOT cover furniture;
3. The contract clearly states "upon arrival at the employment location,the employee WILL be given free family or single status housing for which he is entitled"-FACT--THIS IS CLEAR, SO STOP DEFENDING YOUR MASTERS!!!!!!
VOM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Bedouin teacher is right Reply with quote

Mmmmm Bedouin Teacher speaks truthfully.

The issue about Royal Commission accommodation, rather the lack of it, has been my bone for so long.

And, Bedouin teacher is right, new contracts still read as if the newly arriving teacher would be handed a plumb housing unit on arrival, either for himself or his family. This we know, rarely happens.

The contract is quite misleading bordering on a mistruth and it is, in effect, a breach. Except that the RC compensates for this by offering housing allowances which (Bedouin teacher is right again) usually do not meet the extortionate rental house prices near the colleges nor does it even touch the hefty financial outlay required to furnish a rented apartment.

Stating the facts as they are would simply deter families from coming to Jubail, so I guess they continue the charade and let the poor soul decide after he has arrived.

Typically, most new academic employees wait and wait for an RC house and then get so fed up, decide to go private using RC allowances so as not to delay the arrival of their families.

Later, but much later, the RC MIGHT offer them college housing and often time does.

I am a case in point. But Bedouin teacher would probably never have the stomach to wait for as long as I did.
bedouinteacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: RC/UCJ Housing shame Reply with quote

VOM,

I'm not waiting now.Out of interest,how long did you have to wait?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: