Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteering - any ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Volunteering - any ideas? Reply with quote

Hi,

I find myself at a bit of a loose end lately and was thinking of volunteering. However, I don't have thousands of pounds to spend on one of these programmes college leavers do in South America/Africa (that is all my google searching has come up with!)

I would like to find something near (Europe) that won't cost me a fortune and perhaps pays a stipend or provides housing. The teach in Georgia program looked promising but they have stopped recruiting for the moment.

Any ideas? I am completely open to suggestions!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Volunteering - any ideas? Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
Hi,

I find myself at a bit of a loose end lately and was thinking of volunteering. However, I don't have thousands of pounds to spend on one of these programmes college leavers do in South America/Africa (that is all my google searching has come up with!)

I would like to find something near (Europe) that won't cost me a fortune and perhaps pays a stipend or provides housing. The teach in Georgia program looked promising but they have stopped recruiting for the moment.

Any ideas? I am completely open to suggestions!

Do you have a degree, CELTA / TEFL... anything beyond high school?

If yes, then just get a job. There are lots of opportunities all over the planet (paid and unpaid). *NEVER pay anyone for the privilege of being a volunteer.

If not, enjoy your holiday because there are lots of people who do that you will be competing against.

That is not to disparage volunteerism but uneducated souls wanting to be educators somehow seems to be a bit of an oxymoron to me.

cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.volunteerinternational.org/

http://www.volunteerinternational.org/volunteer_sites.html

ttompatz although your thoughts on the matter may reflect a general ... consensus please try to keep in mind that different folks do have different reasons for volunteering. Also various aquired skills and education are not always learned through 'traditional' brick and morter institutions thus limiting their job possibilities.
Many people choose the volunteer route to share their knowledge gained through life experience. Who knows?... a paid position could develop thereafter???
OP: perhaps sign up on some of the volunteer site forums to start discussions that may provide some leads...?

Last edited by cmp45 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of volunteer type experiences in Asia that might fit the bill. Two schools in the area I work actively seek volunteers. The normally provide housing and food during the week in return for some quite simple 'English Corner' and general chatting to students type activities. Quite a few of these volunteers come from the couchsurfing website (which Ive never even seen) and stay from just a few days to a few months.

To answer something posted above ... these volunteers arent required to teach. Their value as volunteers tends really to be as extra native speaking bodies actively present at the training centre to engage students in real and meaningful communication outside of the classroom.

PM me if you might be interested. Its not Europe, but it is volunteer work without a fee.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look into the United National Volunteer Program (www.unv.org).
FlyingJames

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.volunteerinternational.org/

This organisation is supposed to be well regarded. I have always wanted to volunteer and teach in a less fortunate country. A place like Nepal or Sri Lanka would be interesting. However, it's not very cheap once you account for flights and insurance.
jaffa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vso.org.uk/
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmp45 wrote:
ttompatz although your thoughts on the matter may reflect a general ... consensus please try to keep in mind that different folks do have different reasons for volunteering.

OP: perhaps sign up on some of the volunteer site forums to start discussions that may provide some leads...?

In my own defense... a high school completion and a TEFL course is not too much to ask from a "volunteer" who plans to "teach" EFL.

and this IS primarily a board for "teachers" and not a "volunteer" wanted board.

And the other part of message is probably of equal importance....
NEVER PAY SOMEONE FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF PROVIDING THEM WITH YOUR FREE LABOR. You can bet that the people collecting your "fees" and "supervising you" are being paid for their time.

Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NEVER PAY SOMEONE FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF PROVIDING THEM WITH YOUR FREE LABOR. You can bet that the people collecting your "fees" and "supervising you" are being paid for their time.

I think that depends a bit on the type of volunteering you're doing. If you're going abroad (perhaps for the first time) an agency should be doing a lot more than just collecting a fee. Presumably the agency will be vetting the placement and the host, helping you with red tape, preparing you for the experience, monitoring it and then debriefing at the end.

As a further note, if you want to get into a field such as international development, having overseas experience is almost a pre-requisite: agencies that place you will be helping you do just that.

But for volunteer teaching rather than international development type volunteering, I broadly agree with tttompatz.
golsa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armenia is starting up a volunteer project similar to the Georgian program. They pay all of your costs up front, including the flight, and provide you with a host family and breakfast.

I don't know if they plan to place people in the villages, but it's a safe bet they will send most people there. I want to warn you that this will be a tough gig because rural Armenia is very poor and locked in tradition. However, if a Peace Corps type project appeals to you, this program will be right up your alley. Their English teaching positions will open up in August.

Check out their website at www.armenianvolunteer.org

The government program in Georgia will soon be looking for fresh meat for July/August soon too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: