Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grammar analysis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in two minds. Aug seems keen enough, and it'll be good if we can build up a catalogue of threads to direct future newbies to ("This older thread answers similar questions"), plus it's not like the forums are ever inundated with identical questions all at once. On the other hand, I'm wondering just when enough fishing gear and advice will've been dispensed that the newbie should really be landing fish all of their own. Mind you, it's never easy thinking of actual teaching activities, especially for one's initial/observed teaching teaching practice! "Is this or that too little, or too much?" etc etc. (Good post by the way, Artemisia!).

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
artemisia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think you continue to learn a lot from other teachers and their approach no matter what stage of the game you�re at. It�s just that much harder starting out depending on one�s own educational background. Even with a solid grammatical background, it doesn�t follow you�re going to have knowledge of how to convey that information to others.

I don�t have a �sink or swim� attitude. Ultimately, no matter what�s written here, people are on their own in the classroom (even during a Celta training!) and will have to convert and apply knowledge to an array of teaching situations. You�re not going to pass without demonstrating some of that ability, so I don�t think cheating really comes in to it. Getting some assistance and input can be the stepping stone(s) some people need.

(Thank you, Fluffy! Is your evil twin resting?).
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My evil twin only emerges when ITT and approved methods are being extolled to a gibbous moon. I thought you knew that!

My answers were rather general and not really grasping the functional-exemplar nettle. I'm still not entirely (there's kind of enough to go on already, and I'd probably just start repeating some of it in so many words), but I thought I'd mention that a related ("springboard") area~keyword could be wishes:

I wish I'd studied harder/gone to university/passed all my exams - (if ~) then I wouldn't've had to accept this awful job/could've got a better job/wouldn't be in this awful job/might be in a better job...

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemisia wrote:
It's up to Augustus what he/she decides to read here and take on. I don't see anything wrong with passing on help and ideas to someone starting out. If I did, I wouldn't contribute. Augustus has already had quite a lot of flak for this. It'd be different if little to no attempt had been made to address the question before posting here, but that's not the situation. It's for an assignment, not an exam.

Yeah your right! Very Happy

Apols Augustus! Embarassed

Cool
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think its a good idea to ask for help here, and I dont view it as cheating at all. The downside is you never know what you will get back when you request advice or help. Generally though a trainee teacher could learn more by asking on a forum, and getting real life examples that we might use, have tried or even failed to make work, rather than struggling through a dry book.

@jonslat - again I was nervous writing my marker sentence Smile if we were chatting in a bar Id probably say something different too, but Augustus is probably better off avoiding mixed conditionals for the purpose of his task.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also with Artemisia on this.

Apart from the general "happy to help others" thing, it's also very useful to hear other people's points of view, explanations, ways of going about things. All too often, we're teaching in isolation or doing the same old, same old. It's great to get feedback, consensus, argument and so on.
Augustus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for all the help. It helped to confirm that I was on the right lines with what I had done so far and in continuing the momentum with the other two. I had to hand it in yesterday and I have never been so glad to see the back of an assignment, the fact that it seemed too simple made it harder somehow.

The course is really gathering speed now and I am getting all the more stressed with the sheer amount of stuff I need to do........ so glad for half term (and I am off work ill today too) suggesting I'm not managing my time too well.

Any tips from anyone else?

Jenny
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, you were on the right lines Jenny, and seem to have done a satisfactory job of this particular task. You may in fact be giving yourself too hard a time!

The main thought I always have is that connected formal~functional reading (i.e. an actual course in grammar, such as the Leech et al I often mention, or the book from which that grammar glossary I often post a link to is drawn), perhaps standardized between training centers, should be suggested well ahead of time (and even to those who don't go on to enrol), rather than leaving trainees to battle through what can only appear somewhat random tasks with the aid of "quick-reference" books quite/too close to or indeed during the course. Doing so would obviously help reduce the stress, and increase general knowledgeability. Then, I would like to see some of the books that are apparently reserved only for DELTA level to be "brought down" to CELTA level where they could do more immediate good e.g. Michael Lewis' The English Verb (which discusses things such as the concept of remoteness that I mentioned earlier). As is it however, one seems almost left to oneself when it come to making genuinely thorough preparations, which is puzzling considering e.g. the inadequacy of grammar and FL instruction in UK schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: