Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can You Work With An Old Conviction?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keyboard Kommando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Can You Work With An Old Conviction? Reply with quote

A friend would like to try Saudi, but he has a 20+ year old record/arrest for drugs. It is a felony, but more than 2 decades old. Would an old felony conviction keep you from getting an Iqama?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never asked for a police clearance certificate and that was with 4 different employers. It may depend on your nationality. I had heard that people from the USA may need to have a police clearance certificate.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: olice Report Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I was never asked for a police clearance certificate and that was with 4 different employers. It may depend on your nationality. I had heard that people from the USA may need to have a police clearance certificate.

So, in the US if you go down to your friend local police station and they do not have the felony on their records, you ask them for a police report. I don't know if a felony goes across state lines, or even county lines.
jaffa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government jobs need a police clearance.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither Saudi Arabian Airlines nor KFUPM asked me for police clearance. I am a citizen of the UKofGBN&NI.
VOM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Police Background Checks for Saudi Jobs Reply with quote

Jaffa's right..............Saudi government posts ask for it but I understand it isn't a condition for a work visa for private companies.

Also, it has to be from the your last country of residence. So two years ago, my friend Robert from Canada came to Saudi Arabia via the Philippines, and had resided there with his Phillipina national wife and kids. His police record certificate for his government teaching job was issued by the Philippines government.

But let's imagine he had been convicted in Canada 20 years ago, it's highly probable that this misdemeanor would not show up on the new Philippines police record.

In the same vein, I wonder also if there is an expiry date on the 20 year old conviction of Keyboard Commando's buddy and a chance that it won't show up on his freshly issued police record today.

It won't of course if he is a US national living now in another state where the original conviction wasn't known about. I was told that US police records can be issued online now and in accordance with the unique requirements of each individual state.

However the original question was: Would an age old drugs felony deter an employer from offering his friend a job and securing an 'iqama'?

Well, simply try asking the employer him/herself.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KFUPM is a governemnt employer, under the aegis of the Minsitry of Higher Education. I was not asked for police clearance. I think this may depend on

1. Nationality
2. Place of residence
3. Employer
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
KFUPM is a governemnt employer, under the aegis of the Minsitry of Higher Education. I was not asked for police clearance. I think this may depend on

1. Nationality
2. Place of residence
3. Employer

When did you start your job at KFUPM? Things do change- even in the Kingdom.
abayababy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local police station said the best they could do was give me a notarized letter stating I had no arrest record in my town of residence. I never even looked at the letter, just sent it in the original envelope along with my visa application. It did the trick.
strangerthanparadise

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to www.people.howstuffworks/criminal-record and you'll find everything your friend needs to know
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current recruits to KFUPM are not required to produce police clearance. Maybe now that I have posted this, the procedure will be changed !
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US all convictions go into a national data base (Dept. of Defense) whether they are misdemeanors or felonies. They are permanently on your record and when the local police fingerprint you they come up. Whether or not it matters depends upon the employer.
I have had many teaching jobs in the US and overseas and my misdemeanor always shows up. (1998 for reckless driving-yeah) It has never stopped me from being hired so far.

Last edited by Ixchel on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with many things, you just have to play it by ear. Requirements vary with employers. Just do what they ask !

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
strangerthanparadise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when applying for an employment visa for ksa(in the us), the consulate requires you to submit a criminal record check document. no such document is needed when you go on a business visit visa or temporary work visa.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US - what about elsewhere ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: