Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a bad plan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfuechec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Is this a bad plan? Reply with quote

So, I'm planning to fly to Japan in about 2 weeks. I haven't found a job, I'm planning to find one once in the country. I have 3 years experience in Taiwan and Vietnam just with a BA and TEFL cert.

I have about $5000 US saved up for this, but I'm planning to stay in one of the sakura house places in shibuya. That should cost about 70000-80000 yen a month. I can probably get by eating cheaply.

I think I've got decent interview skills. I can give a good demo lesson and I'm young, pretty and normal looking. (I'm a dude)

I did it like this in Vietnam and it was extremely easy, but I'm starting to get nervous about Japan.

How does that plan sound? I think this is pretty good timing, what are the chances I'll have to fly out to renew my visa?
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your timing is good, and if you are as you described you shouldn't have too much trouble finding an entry-level position. Either as an ALT with an April start, or at a language school that might be available earlier. I'd say you've got a good amount of money to last you a few months. Remember though that you may have to wait up to two months for your first paycheck from when you start your job (if you start on April 1st, for example, you're likely to get paid around May 25th).

The length of your visa validity depends on which country you're from though, I think. If you did have to fly out, a return to South Korea can be pretty cheap. There's another recent thread with some opinions about the dangers of trying to find and start work on a tourist visa...

If I were you, I would start contacting companies now and try to get interviews arranged for when you arrive.
mfuechec

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Feel less nervous now.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly out to renew your visa? Uh, what nationality are you? If American, you have only 90 days. If British, you have 180 days.

And, technically speaking, neither nationality requires a visa just to come as a tourist. Your passport serves as a visa waiver.

What are your chances of finding a job? As mentioned, good, because this is the beginning of peak season. Just realize the wait needed for a visa, and the fact that competition (even for entry level jobs) is steep.

Best of luck.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up, I was near the station in West Shinjuku yesterday and I saw lots of adverts for apartments from as little as 20,000 Yen a month. I'm pretty sure they all had no insurance/key money fees either. They were generally small rooms (6 tatami plus halway kitchen plus unit bathroom/toilet), but considerably cheaper than a guesthouse. A lot of the buildings were right there in Shinjuku.

Might be something for you to look into.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, you got it. great timing. money to burn. experience. not sure why you are worried. 3 months is plenty of time to get your visa to let you stay. you may even find a job you wanna keep after getting your visa.. there is tons of esl work here.. and you can live very cheaply, finding cheap food is easy and being in shibuya will help you minimize your train expenses for interviews.. welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: