Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Russia safety... Is it safe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chica88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Russia safety... Is it safe? Reply with quote

A few days ago I got a bite from a school I send my resume to about 3 times a year.
The school always ignores my resume but I always send another every few months.
Anyway, they got back to me this time.
I was shocked and excited.

Then...

I came across some alarming information on a British site about safety in Russia.
Safety is something that is not talked about much on Daves ESL but I need to talk about it now.

I almost hear nothing of Russia ever, not good or bad.
Does anyone living in Russia notice or hear of terrorism in the location of Moscow or anywhere else in the country?

Things that concerned me most were car bombings and other terrorism activities taking place in Russia.
According to a British site:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/russian-federation

terrorism activities tend to focus on airports and other expat locations in Moscow to name but one.

Do you find this to be so?
What is the current situation in Russia concerning terrorism and safety in general?

My husband and I are both getting older.
I think if I were by myself I would not care as much.
But, at this point of our lives the list of things most important to us (with number 1 being most important) would look like this:

1. Safe city
2. interesting location
3. paid on time
4. pay rate

Last edited by chica88 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 am; edited 4 times in total
bharrell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where exactly is the school? I never had any safety issues in Russia or the Ukraine but I wasn't in Chechnya. The only problems I had was with a pickpocket on the subway, gold digging Slavic women and standard Russian surliness, none physically dangerous.
RoscoeTX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chica,

I've been teaching ESL strictly in Moscow for nearly 5 years and I can say overall I have not witnessed first-hand or been on the receiving end of any kind of violent criminal or terrorist act. Knocking on wood of course. But I was here for the last couple of most recent terrorist attacks.

Quote:
the terrorism activities tend to focus on airports and other expat locations in Moscow to name a few.
Do you find this to be so?

While it was an extremely horrible and saddening time for all people living here in Moscow, it doesn't seem and I don't think terrorists are or have been targeting "expat" locations here. As far as major hubs of transport, that is a different question and are typically common targets in our new age of terrorist warfare.

I haven't heard of any car bombings here or in the Moscow regions...potentially may happen in the southern regions of Russia..i.e., Dagestan.

Overall, I can say I have felt myself safe. I am by no means a night owl and I'm married, so I tend to keep to myself and we do sometimes go out for meals in the center and all is fine. You have probably heard it a lot, but just always keep aware of your surroundings and always remain vigilant, as in any large city.

On a slightly other note, as far as the police go, I would not look to them for dutiful assistance in nearly any case. They are a corrupt bunch and largely useless, maybe good at breaking up large groups of citizen protesters or harassing and shaking down "brown" people.

Anyways, best of luck to you and don't let this particular "travel warning" to scare you off from Russia, at least Moscow. There are tons of opportunities, many more once you are on the ground and it's quite an interesting place![/quote]
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Chica88

PM sent to you, but here are a few more thoughts.

The peace-loving peoples of our glorious Motherland are not at all surprised by these slanderous attacks from the decadent Piggies in Londongrad. Pay them no heed, for they are simply lacking in any spirit of adventure, any soul! They are consumed with jealousy because our bonds of Slavic sympathy hold our Union firm - which stands in stark contrast to the imminent collapse of the UK.

Agree with everything the other posters have said. Basic precautions, an absence of very bad luck, the exercise of basic common sense - these will all stand you in good stead in Moscow, as elsewhere.

Best of luck!

S
jaffa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bharrell wrote:
Where exactly is the school? I never had any safety issues in Russia or the Ukraine but I wasn't in Chechnya. The only problems I had was with a pickpocket on the subway, gold digging Slavic women and standard Russian surliness, none physically dangerous.

I knew a gold-digging Czech woman who was physically dangerous - she tried to run me over in a Skoda.
chica88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bharrell wrote:

Thank you all for your comments.
The British report came a little out of left field and I didn't know what to think of it.
Again, I have not heard of such issues in Russia lately or in past years.

As a side note:
I looked on the US Department of State site and it was the exact same information as the British site.
Same wording and everything.

bharrel - I am curious, did you look at the British report I put a link to in my post?
What do you think of the safety problems spots they have listed?
bharrell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Chica88,
I did look at the advisory. I have been gone from Eastern Europe for 4 years now, so I am not really knowledgeable, if I ever was. Someone living there now would know better. But if you are really concerned, I wouldn't go to the red or orange areas. Being constantly fearful is a terrible feeling and you likely wouldn't enjoy yourself. Why not find a school in the green zone on the map?
Most all of the people I know about who ever got into trouble overseas were either drunk or on drugs or hanging around with the wrong crowd. Russia can be a bit intense sometimes, but in retrospect, I created most of my own fears.
ETA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, the Chechnya of today is quite different than yesterday...http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/ID/2332846475/
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russians do worry about terrorism and it does exist. However, the residents of London are about as likely to get blown up. So yes, the threat exists but no it isn't any greater than other parts of the world. In my opinion.
petrovic23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in Russia for about 4 years, and I've never (knock on wood) had any problems with violent crime. And unless you're going to some infamously rough area of Russia (like Dagestan or Chechnya), it's just as safe as any area of the western world. Don't believe the hype! There is the usual petty theft that occurs, but with enough common sense, that's easy to prevent.

Oh yeah, common sense goes a long way. Heed any advice about bad parts of the city, and don't walk around alone at night in dark places. You need to be especially careful about alcohol, because the overwhelming majority of crimes I've heard of happened because the victim was wasted and therefore an easy target.

The country itself is much more dangerous than the people: bad roads, even worse drivers, and wily stray dogs will be the main nuisance in your daily life.
Avogadro's Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Stavropol, which is reputed to be pretty dangerous. I have lived here for 3 years and have never had any problems. We have had some action. There was a bombing in 2010 and two people were killed as I recall. There have been altercations between Russians and Caucasians from time to time, but I have always felt safe.

I wouldn't let the travel advisory deter you. As someone stated above, you probably have the same chance of being a victim of terrorism in London as in Russia. If you are concerned, stay away from the Caucasus. Russia is a big country. What about Vladivostok? Siberia? The Urals?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: