Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

asia - where to find the best of both worlds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: asia - where to find the best of both worlds Reply with quote

I'm looking to move to SE Asia and would like some help trying to figure out where to start teaching please.

I'd like to be somewhere where I can save some money/live an ok lifestyle and not have to teach more than 20-30 hours a week max to escape my current long work schedule. Does this exist?

My current thinking is Vietnam would be the best bet, or perhaps Malaysia?
Also looking at Taiwan but I hear pay has come down quite a bit and you can struggle to make ends meet, Hong Kong although again I think it's hard to earn much if you aren't on the NET scheme, and Thailand but I've seen a few negative posts on classes being quite unruly?
I think the hours seem too long in Japan/S.Korea.

New to this so any help would be great. I have a BA in Modern Languages and 1 year teaching experience as part of that (but that was 6 years ago). Nothing since then however planning to start off wherever I go by doing TESOL or CELTA and then looking for jobs from there.

thanks
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China.
Nerel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm I haven't really looked at that much so far, was being drawn by the way travel around other places in the smaller counties Smile anywhere in particular you'd recommend?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, but you can get a position somewhere and make enough to live on and save. It will take some adjustment, but if you're a native speaker, breathing, no STDs, you're in. Preferably Caucasian; even if you're not, you can get something, it just won't be quite as easy.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go a little further north, to the Motherland!
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are you looking to save per month?
Do you have any outstanding debts now (how much per month)?

What's your idea of an "OK lifestyle"? People vary in their definitions.

Quote:
not have to teach more than 20-30 hours a week max
I think the hours seem too long in Japan
Not sure what you heard about Japan, but the hours here fit what you listed. Realize that those are hours spend in the classroom, and that you are looking at a full-time job (40-hr week), so you will have other duties, too, just like back home (I presume).

Your qualifications are bare bones minimum. I wouldn't push my luck on asking for more than what entry level jobs require.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: asia - where to find the best of both worlds Reply with quote

Nerel wrote:
I'm looking to move to SE Asia and would like some help trying to figure out where to start teaching please.

I'd like to be somewhere where I can save some money/live an ok lifestyle and not have to teach more than 20-30 hours a week max to escape my current long work schedule. Does this exist?

My current thinking is Vietnam would be the best bet, or perhaps Malaysia?
Also looking at Taiwan but I hear pay has come down quite a bit and you can struggle to make ends meet, Hong Kong although again I think it's hard to earn much if you aren't on the NET scheme, and Thailand but I've seen a few negative posts on classes being quite unruly?
I think the hours seem too long in Japan/S.Korea.

New to this so any help would be great. I have a BA in Modern Languages and 1 year teaching experience as part of that (but that was 6 years ago). Nothing since then however planning to start off wherever I go by doing TESOL or CELTA and then looking for jobs from there.

thanks

Forgive me for laughing at you.
"I've seen a few negative posts on classes being quite unruly"

For EFL work in the private sector (as in language academies) it won't make any difference whether you go to Korea, Vietnam, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Thailand.
The kids will be the same and the classroom issues will also be the same.

The hours are largely the same if you work in a language academy.
30 classes/hours per week is pretty much the norm (regardless of where you work).

The best option (cash in the bank at the end of the year) for someone with no real experience and no credentials beyond a BA/BS is still Korea.

China or Vietnam is coming in a close 2nd (in terms of net savings at the end of the year) followed by Taiwan, HK, Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia.

Depending on your age and whether or not you want to go to the trouble of getting a TEFL/TESOL cert then government schools open up in Korea.

JET in Japan might be worth a look for you.

Government schools in Thailand are an option but starting pay is poor (although if you are a decent teacher there are lots of opportunities to move up the income ladder).

Most G1-12 school jobs (across the region) are about 20-22 classes per week and a regular 40 hour work week (8-4:30 with your lunch time off).

<edited: spelling corrections) - teach me not to use a phone instead of a keyboard.

Last edited by tttompatz on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
TedZar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Thailand pays the least and wants the most, but most people tolerate it because it is a wonderful place to live.

Korea - probably the best in terms of saving money without working yourself to death.

China is becoming a better option all the time.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: asia - where to find the best of both worlds Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:

Forgive me for laughing at you.
"I've seen a few negative posts on classes being quite unruly"

For EFL work in the private sector (as in language academies) it won't make any difference whether you go to Korea, Vietnam, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Thailand.
The kids will be the same and the classroom issues will also be the same.

It's the same here in North America. Unfortunately OP, wrangling immature youth in a classroom is just part of the job, no matter where you end up Laughing
Nerel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I don't have debts to pay off but just really want to earn enough to travel a bit in the holidays around nearby countries. Don't really want to work more than 30 hours including prep time.. and yep not expecting all kids to be angels it just seemed Thailand was particularly bad. .. hmm so many different views! Guess I'll just need to pick one and try it out Smile
cheezsteakwit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP
It sounds like you are describing Korea. Get yourself an on-line TEFL cert (at least 100 hours + 20 hours IN class) I believe that is a new requirement for Sep. 2013 intakes.

I got my TEFL on-line thru ITTT for about $200 US. It was only a 100 hour course , but I'm a certified teacher back in the states, so technically, I don't think I needed the course. (I got mixed answers to that question by people on the ground here, but whatever.)

Also, make sure you get a PUBLIC school job & NOT a hagwon (private school job) Alistair @ Korean Horizons was VERY helpful to me.

Public school jobs have steady hours (9 5 -ish) , 18 days vacation time (more than hagwons) & I have TONS of free time during the day & at night.

I teach basically the same lesson all week & just modify it to fit the level of my students. NO papers to grade at night & NO stress. I'm using my free time to take technology courses, etc... on-line thru

http://www.coursera.org

& I'm studying Korean so I can take the TOPIK exam in July

I'm finishing up my first year & about to start another in March. I traveled to Beijing, China, Thailand & Angkor Wat, Cambodia this past year. Japan & the Philippines are on my travel schedule for this upcoming year.

As for student discipline, I have ZERO problems from my high school boys. I'm in the country, so maybe that's a reason? But, I was teaching at an inner city Philadelphia high school before I came here. & I've just about 'died & gone to heaven' discipline-wise. I haven't heard any horror stories from my friends (elem, middle OR high school level) either.

I'll finish out this second year, then investigate international school options, BUT I've been VERY happy with my Korean experience thus far.

As for saving money, you should be able to save/send home half your paycheck and live very comfortably on the other half. Shoes & fruit are pretty expensive here, but the cost of living for other things isn't that bad. (It's not as cheap as Thailand or Cambodia, but i hear its cheaper than Japan.) Train transportation here is world class & cheap , as well.

Anyways, good luck to you.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japan might pay you enough to do what you described. Depends.

Classroom hours are 20-30 per week, NOT including prep time. I don't think you are in much of a bargaining position with your qualifications. Don't like it? Don't apply here.

You still didn't answer my questions about savings and lifestyle. (Savings means money aside from what you use, such as in sightseeing, which is why I ask about that again.) If the above description of Japan still appeals to you, please let me know your responses.
Nerel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in terms of savings I was thinking maybe $ 4-500 a month would be good to do some cheap travel and even have a little left over. Japan does sound interesting, I know less about it as I have mainly focused initially on Hong Kong/Vietnam etc which are close together for traveling, but I know Japan isn't too far. ..

Let's face it my experience of Asia is limited somewhat! I'm thinking now it may be wise to do 2-3 weeks travelling before then do celta somewhere cheaper like thailand, and from there go straight to a place to live and find work. That is, if I can sort out the logistics of visas and packing for travelling and work. .. suddenly even bringing a laptop is thrown into question :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: