Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hoping to make professional contacts in Saudi
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricinAsia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Hoping to make professional contacts in Saudi Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been on this thread a few times. I'm currently completing a MA in TEFL and have been teaching at a Uni in Korea for 2 years. I have 14 more months on this contract and am ready to move to the Middle East.

Though there are a lot of "jokers" who post on these threads, I know there are decent teachers/professionals in the Kingdom. I'm hoping to network with some people who could help me in my transition to the Middle East. I am a good worker and I work to maintain good relationships with my fellow employees.

Let's chat!

Eric
EricinAsia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Oh, "problem" with my MA Reply with quote

I forgot to mention . . . my last few courses for my MA have been online (from a real University). Is this now a big problem in Saudi? Also, my undergrad is in social studies education, not English. Is this a problem?
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricinAsia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Thanks for the feedback Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

I do think my transcripts show that some classes were online (I can talk to them about that and perhaps have it changed). However, I've been living and teaching here while the MA has been in progress. It will be hard to work around that issue in an interview.

I feel bad for saying this . . . but my main motivation for coming to the middle east is to earn better money. I could go back to the US and use my k-12 ESL endorsement . . . but those jobs are a lot of work and you don't save that much after you pay for a car and a place to live.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an MA, you might want to expand your search beyond just Saudi. I would also look at Qatar, the UAE, and Oman.

No need to limit yourself as far as opportunities. Qatar has a new branch of Houston Community College... Oman has a collection of colleges around the country which are often easier to get into as that "first job" in a part of the world... and UAE is one of the top payers.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS is as usual anti-Saudi. I spent 17 years there and have a diffreent spin on things. KFUPM is a good place to work. See their website.
EricinAsia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Thanks for the feedback Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, guys . . . I'm also willing to look into companies that are teaching employees and/or military. I do, however, want to make sure I'm in a secure situation.

Eric
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
VS is as usual anti-Saudi. I spent 17 years there and have a diffreent spin on things. KFUPM is a good place to work. See their website.

Too many Americans don't even realize that there are other countries other than Saudi Arabia. Or the fact that some of the best jobs are not within its borders. (ie the whole ARAMCO misperception)

Add to that the fact that it is best to apply widely for that first job in this part of the world.

VS
abayababy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too many Americans don't even realize that there are other countries other than Saudi Arabia.

[smirk]Oh, really?[/smirk]

BTW, most universities in the UAE wants 3-5 years post-grad and the pay in Oman is not even close to Saudi. All the Americans I work with here were well aware of the existence of these and other countries, but chose to come here nonetheless. I for one am having a grand experience. I make enough money to visit Oman or Dubai on the weekends and still have plenty left to save.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abayababy wrote:
Quote:
Too many Americans don't even realize that there are other countries other than Saudi Arabia.

[smirk]Oh, really?[/smirk]

I can say "yes" without smirking (like a normal adult) and I have been dealing with the geographical ignorance of my fellow Americans for lots of years.

Rather like the military sorts in the US who managed to do 5 tours in Iraq and still can't pronounce the name of the country. Rolling Eyes

VS
abayababy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say "yes" to this to express an opinion, but it is not a fact. I dare say most Americans are aware that Saudi is not the only other country in the world.
EricinAsia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd like to redirect this post back to making professional contacts in the region. I still have some concerns that because my MA will be partially completed online, including while I've obviously been working abroad, I will have some problems getting into Uni jobs.

I'm still open to working for companies if they have a good package and good standards.

Thanks
abayababy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ask. Don't tell. They won't notice.
EricinAsia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abayababy wrote:
Don't ask. Don't tell. They won't notice.

I find that with a lot of things.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricinAsia wrote:
I guess I'd like to redirect this post back to making professional contacts in the region. I still have some concerns that because my MA will be partially completed online, including while I've obviously been working abroad, I will have some problems getting into Uni jobs.

Could be an issue, especially for direct-hire, university positions if it's obvious to the employer that your master's degree included online coursework. If it's not brought up during the interview, it's likely to be asked on the employment application. Of course, if your BA is relevant and was completed on campus, then you could possibly qualify based on it, although that could mean a lower salary. On the other hand, there are plenty of sketchy contracting companies that commonly bring teachers on business visit visas and not on proper employment visas. These outfits won't care how you obtained your MA because a biz visit visa doesn't require degree authentication. Anyway, that's just the way it is---a gamble. You won't really know if it's an issue until you play the game.

and wrote:
I'm still open to working for companies if they have a good package and good standards.

If you read through this forum, you'll see that the best packages are via direct-hire positions and not with contracting companies. I'm not sure what you mean by good standards, but when contemplating work in the Kingdom, it's best to keep your expectations low. And as VS suggested, there are other countries in the region you might also seriously consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: