Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aramco - needles and haystacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Aramco - needles and haystacks Reply with quote

Good evening all. Well, isn't this just like looking for a wisp of dry grass in an enormous pile of needles.
I'm looking for a bit of objective, honest advice here and it all looks fairly vague and inconclusive, but polemical for that. To business: I've just been offered a job teaching in Saudi for Aramco - alas not direct hire, but under the auspices of a contracting company. Name of Al Hoty. The money is good, around 6,500USD pcm out of which I pay for accomodation, living costs and so forth. The maths look pretty good but what I'm really eager to know is: can I trust them? A foolish question, no doubt. Any takers? Particularly interested in anyone who knows this partic'lar contracting company as I can't help but pick up a whisker of discontent towards contractors in general in these threads. Any thoughts much appreciated.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High turnover. Teachers often feel "swindled" when they see how direc t hires are tgreated. Short holidays. I would say okay if you nwant a place short-term. If you want to last the pace in KSA go for another employer.
horse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... not very encouraging, but thank you. And is that the verdict of you all?
One further question: Let's say one went there, and discovered that the garden was not nearly so rosy as had been painted, and then did not see out the contract - how possible would that be? I may get hit for that with accusations of unprofessional behaviour - but I think that skipping out is reasonable if one is being screwed with a radically different contract upon arrival or whatever. (I've never dumped a contract before - but then I've always been treated reasonably, or reasonably within reason.) But is such a thing even possible in Saudi, say on a holiday break? I ask because if deals are as bad as I'm hearing, I'm surprised more people don't take that route.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens often. People go on vacation and do not come back. Not so much with the better employers, but even there you get people who cannot handle living in the Magic Kingdom. Some hanker after the doubtful and dubious pleasures of Korea and Thailand.
horse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Thai living is doubtless dubious for a fair old few. Have never been, myself, but it doesn't really appeal. I'm very confident, well fairly, that I can put up with a boring, spartan existence (if there is a gym and internet access - asking too much?) for a year of saving money, but I wouldn't really relish being screwed over for a full twelve months. I know the agency deal - they take a slice and give you your take - but, essentially, if what they put in the original offer is true (and there is the big question) then it isn't a bad deal, I suppose.
abayababy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone please correct me if this is false (as if I need to ask Smile, but I believe that if you do a "runner" without a final exit visa, you may not be eligible for another entry visa to KSA for several years.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on an Iqama and leave without a final exit visa, your employer has a hard time with the Ministry of the Interior Technically they lose the visa that was allotted to the "escapee". Note that many employers still ask for a LONO/NOC.

Last edited by scot47 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
PeterParvo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Aramco is one of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: