Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can You Work With An Old Conviction?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
In the US all convictions go into a national data base (Dept. of Defense) whether they are misdemeanors or felonies.

Actually, the DoD manages all US military affairs and information related to active military and their families as well as reservists and veterans.

The FBI's National Crime Information Center is the repository for US criminal justice information including criminal record history, missing persons, fugitives, etc.---data collected from state, local, fed, and international criminal justice/law enforcement agencies and courts. The FBI operates under the Department of Justice.
strangerthanparadise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear scot, i know that ukanians do not need to submit that particular document to the consular section of the royal saudi embassy in london when applying for an employment visa for ksa.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Ixchel wrote:
In the US all convictions go into a national data base (Dept. of Defense) whether they are misdemeanors or felonies.

Actually, the DoD manages all US military affairs and information related to active military and their families as well as reservists and veterans.

The FBI's National Crime Information Center is the repository for US criminal justice information including criminal record history, missing persons, fugitives, etc.---data collected from state, local, fed, and international criminal justice/law enforcement agencies and courts. The FBI operates under the Department of Justice.

Yes, you're right it was DOJ. I was on a lot of pain meds last night. But my point is that all offenses are on your record forever and will be pulled up by your "local police dept." in the US. Expungement doesn't do a thing either, mine is expunged and still shows up.
It is up to employers whether they want to hire you with a record but there's no way around it.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, before everything and everyone was computer-connected, you could do that "local police clearance" and get away with it.

But no longer, alas.

Regards,
John
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think was right around 1998 that they started keeping track on a national level because my friend's stepdad was here illegally from Mexico and had about 10 DUI's prior to that but still got citizenship because there was no record. You can do other things like get married 500 times in different states in the US without anyone knowing.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Work With An Old Conviction? Reply with quote

Keyboard Kommando wrote:
A friend would like to try Saudi, but he has a 20+ year old record/arrest for drugs. It is a felony, but more than 2 decades old. Would an old felony conviction keep you from getting an Iqama?

The Saudis interestingly enough prefer local police certificates from your city or county police. Your friend should apply to have the felonies expunged since they are over 20 years old.
genericusername

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
In the US all convictions go into a national data base (Dept. of Defense) whether they are misdemeanors or felonies. They are permanently on your record and when the local police fingerprint you they come up. Whether or not it matters depends upon the employer.
I have had many teaching jobs in the US and overseas and my misdemeanor always shows up. (1998 for reckless driving-yeah) It has never stopped me from being hired so far.

The database (NCIC) is only accessible to law enforcement. When I got a police check for a KSA job the county sheriff only certified that I had no arrests in that county. Private criminal searches won't find convictions in counties they look for.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some teachers here that looked and behaved like they just got out of prison. I got the impression that they were on parole or something. They talked the talk and somehow walked the walk. I was surprised that they were let loose here to teach, but hey the question arises... Do we really teach here anyways?

Grendal
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching, in a professional sense, requires students who want to learn. This normally occurs in a serous, structured program, with some consequences for poor performance. In KSA that normally does not exist. In reality, from the point of view of the management, there are no students, only customers. Management in KSA is full of Teflologists whose job is to shift blame for poor student performance and behavior from the customers to the teacher. Customers can't be taught unless they want to learn, and why should they want to learn when they get paid based upon their attendance?

Grendal wrote:
I have seen some teachers here that looked and behaved like they just got out of prison. I got the impression that they were on parole or something. They talked the talk and somehow walked the walk. I was surprised that they were let loose here to teach, but hey the question arises... Do we really teach here anyways?

Grendal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: