Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language Link vs Windsor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacher X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Language Link vs Windsor Reply with quote

Hi guys.
I've been quite lucky with schools in the past, having worked in Tokyo, Shanghai and Berlin and never really had many complaints.

I plan on moving to Moscow and have been offered a place at LL. I also have a Windsor interview coming up soon.

Can anyone give me any pluses and minuses for each school?

I've read a few threads concerning LL and was a tad concerned. But after thinking about it, I did think that some of the complaints were pretty poor. Complaining about having to cover classes is hardly the worst thing on earth.

In Japan I worked for 'Shane' who have a pretty bad reputation and a vast number of very angry and vocal ex teachers. Yet I had no problems with them the entire time I worked for there. When I told them I was leaving they actually went out of their way in trying to get me to stay (offering me a better apartment and more money)
Whereas a colleague of mine, who worked in the exact same school as me, had not a single good thing to say about the company and frequently stated that the company didn't give a shit about it's teachers (which is clearly not what I experienced)

So I understand that everybody has very different experiences in schools. Some love the way a system works, while for others it simply doesn't work.

It would be great if some of you could explain why you liked or hated a particular aspect of the school (assuming some of you worked there)

Windsor offers 36000 for 30 hours teaching.
LL offers 33000 - 40000 for 27 hours (I need to confirm how much I should be getting with 3.5 years experience)

Despite the bad reports I've had concerning LL I am more tempted to go with them since they offer young/teen classes, which I much prefer to adults. My main concern is that 36000 will leave me starving. Can you save much on this wage (keeping in mind that accommodation is provided)

One final question; what are the other teachers like? I have a couple of Russian friends already in Moscow, but I'd like to have a good social base while I'm there.

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.
Foma87

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard contract, though it'll be difficult to save. If you have contacts here already, that's all the better. Keep in mind that people who've taught for a year or two make 120k+ on their own (in Moscow).
teacher X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
So it makes more sense to teach privately? I'm guessing it's better to work part time at a school in order to get the visa and then farm your own students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: