Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U. North Dakota

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdi181

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: U. North Dakota Reply with quote

Hi am looking at online graduate programs and ran across the U. North Dakota. I was wondering if any one has any info on their online MEd in ELL or on the school itself.

Thanks for any help/info.

http://distance.und.edu/degree/?id=medelled
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: U. North Dakota Reply with quote

abdi181 wrote:
Hi am looking at online graduate programs and ran across the U. North Dakota. I was wondering if any one has any info on their online MEd in ELL or on the school itself.

It's a legit school but I wouldn't pay for a degree that doesn't say TESOL. The language learners one is pretty much the same but when you look for a job either overseas or at a US university/community college they want Applied Linguistics.
Montanaland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Good school Reply with quote

Go Souix! (The Div 1 hockey program that is...) Anyhow, you might want to look at a similiar program offered at the u of Missouri..as it is in Tesol.

I came across a post on a much less reputable forum stating that one could just study and take the MTEL-which is Massachusetts teacher licensure test. Does anyone know if their is any truth to that for folks who hold an unrelated degree like say in business?

http://www.mtel.nesinc.com/
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: U. North Dakota Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
abdi181 wrote:

It's a legit school but I wouldn't pay for a degree that doesn't say TESOL. The language learners one is pretty much the same but when you look for a job either overseas or at a US university/community college they want Applied Linguistics.

I agree with Ixchel. I have a "Bachelor of General Studies" with "Thematic Option in TESL" (which is the same as a major, 40 upper level TESL credits but without the designation as the school did not have it).

It's a pain to explain to employers Sad
Ixchel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Good school Reply with quote

Montanaland wrote:
Go Souix! (The Div 1 hockey program that is...) Anyhow, you might want to look at a similiar program offered at the u of Missouri..as it is in Tesol.

I came across a post on a much less reputable forum stating that one could just study and take the MTEL-which is Massachusetts teacher licensure test. Does anyone know if their is any truth to that for folks who hold an unrelated degree like say in business?

http://www.mtel.nesinc.com/

You're confusing several things. Smile In some states if you haven't majored in Liberal Studies/Elementary Education and want to become a teacher you take and pass a subject matter test then take the same teacher ed classes that everyone takes to get their teaching credentials. That's how I did it. Most states have basic skills tests-they often use California's, the CBEST as well. I am not sure if the MTEL is a basic skills test or a subject matter test. Usually the subject matter tests (now called Praxis) are national.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: