Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JET Programme?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayr_27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: JET Programme? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting so apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum or anything else.

I am currently studying towards a degree in TESOL at university and once finished will have TKT, CELTA and a joint BA in TESOL and Global Studies.

I am interested in the JET Programme, has anyone any advice for me in regards to it or any suggestions of what I could do afterwards?

Although I am only just finishing my first year of uni I want to get a sound idea of what path to take.

All comments and advice will be appreciated.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do anything you want after JET. There is no set path. What interests you?
Jayr_27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JET is my first option at the moment, I just think it would be a good way to get into teaching by learning from others.

My interests would be to do JET for a while then maybe South Korea.

How long have you been teaching for and what are your experiences with working in Japan and other countries been like?
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in teaching EFL abroad, JET is a good way to get started. I came to Japan as a JET some years back. The pay and benifits are better than private companies providing the same service will give you. You'll be "team teaching", there will always be a Japanese teacher in the classroom with you. Public schools by law can't just let anyone run the class. Often you do run the class, but you'll have back up. "Team" is a pretty elastic term, which can mean you'll be doing everything from standing in a corner, occasionally being a human CD player (not so common these days thankfully) to directing high school student drama presentations, to playing dodgeball with 8 year olds. The mantra when I was a JET was, "Every situation is different." Some schools treat you like a celebrity, some like an embarassing food stain.
Is Big Daikon still around? That was the JET version of Dave's. Probably more JET stories there.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayr_27 wrote:
How long have you been teaching for and what are your experiences with working in Japan and other countries been like?
14 years of work in Japan. Only Japan. Conversation school, private HS, currently university.
Jayr_27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! So you would definitely recommend Japan!
Any places in particular?
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayr_27 wrote:
Wow! So you would definitely recommend Japan!
Any places in particular?
i wouldn't recommend any country without knowing more about you and your goals and perceptions.

Why Japan, for example?
What do you know about the Japanese market, for another?
Jayr_27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I just want to live in other countries and travel.
In the long term after getting teaching experience maybe work for an NGO.

Why Japan? ...Obviously I don't know as much about it as I do other countries but I want to learn and experience the traditions and festivals.

In regards to the market?...what do you mean?
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Do anything you want after JET. There is no set path. What interests you?

^^This.

It is good that you are thinking about life AFTER JET. Many ALTs don't do this and they go back to their home countries and flounder for a year before finally putting the next step together.

However, first things first: put together an application and see what happens. Keep checking the program's website: www.jetprogramme.org

The application for the next intake (for the summer 2014 to summer 2015 contract year) will come out around early September, 2013 and it will be due around the end of November, 2013. In the meantime ask professors and/or employers if they would be willing to write you letters of recommendation, get your academic transcripts together, and think about answers to essays, i.e., why do you want to join the JET Programme? what will you do for your school and community? what will you do with such an experience afterwards?

Good luck with it all.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Jayr_27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Chris

Much appreciated : D
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayr_27 wrote:
Why Japan? ...Obviously I don't know as much about it as I do other countries but I want to learn and experience the traditions and festivals.
Why not the same things in Thailand, Brazil, Russia, or Saudi Arabia? What "traditions" do you feel you need to learn by living here instead of spending a vacation?

Quote:
In regards to the market?...what do you mean?
Hiring processes, typical contracts, salaries, time off, issues that teachers face in eikaiwa or ALT situations, how to teach here vs. in a western environment, etc.
rtm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Jayr_27 wrote:
Why not the same things in Thailand, Brazil, Russia, or Saudi Arabia? What "traditions" do you feel you need to learn by living here instead of spending a vacation?

Is it necessary that one have an inherent interest in the country where they go to teach? I don't think so. When I first went to Japan (nearly 15 years ago, via JET), I didn't. I just wanted to teach, and JET provided a good opportunity.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
Glenski wrote:
Jayr_27 wrote:

Is it necessary that one have an inherent interest in the country where they go to teach? I don't think so.
Then I guess we disagree, if for no other reason than having a simple awareness of the culture (inherent interest), which lends itself to a more positive attitude or expectation about adapting or experiencing there. At least having some measure of interest is better IMO than indifference. Most people that i have encountered on these forums in the past 15 years had a reason, anyway.

I hope you gained an interest in your stay.
Jayr_27

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for me discovering the depth of the culture is one of the massive incentives of the job. So I don't thing you have to know everything about somewhere before you go.

Of course I will have a certain level awareness as I am currently studying intercultural communications alongside TESOL at University.

When I went to teach in Thailand, I had no idea of the culture, but your learn quickly, and I think as long as you not completely ignorant you will be okay.

As Marley's Ghost said, I think JET is a brilliant way to start your teaching career as it has a brilliant reputation, great perks such as pay, Holiday, and other allowances.

Thanks again for all of the comments guys....much appreciated
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Then I guess we disagree, if for no other reason than having a simple awareness of the culture (inherent interest), which lends itself to a more positive attitude or expectation about adapting or experiencing there. At least having some measure of interest is better IMO than indifference. Most people that i have encountered on these forums in the past 15 years had a reason, anyway.

I hope you gained an interest in your stay.

Yes, I definitely did gain an interest in Japan (mostly in the language, but also in the culture, festivals, etc.) during my stay. But, that probably would have also happened had I gone to a different country.

I did come into the experience with a positive attitude and an expectation that I would have to adapt -- inherent interest in Japan wasn't necessary for that. Like you said, a lot of people come to Japan with a specific reason for coming, or a certain expectation of what Japan is like. I've seen many of these people disappointed when they found that "real" Japan is different from "expected" Japan -- in that regard, I think coming in with no expectation and no specific reason (other than teaching) helped me a lot in adjusting to living in Japan.

I just found the idea that one should have a specific interest in the country where they are teaching interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: