Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiring after TET?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
livelife

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Hiring after TET? Reply with quote

I have recently arrived in HCMC but i have not been looking for jobs yet. I was told the few weeks leading up to TET and after were a bad time to look for anything, since most places our preparing for the holiday.

Does anyone know when most schools start their regular schedule again, or when would be a good time to start showing up to schools with CVs.

Thanks
just noel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hiring after TET? Reply with quote

livelife wrote:
I have recently arrived in HCMC but i have not been looking for jobs yet. I was told the few weeks leading up to TET and after were a bad time to look for anything, since most places our preparing for the holiday.

Yes, it slows down quite a bit. before, shut down during, and slow starts up again after Tet is over.

Quote:

Does anyone know when most schools start their regular schedule again, or when would be a good time to start showing up to schools with CVs.

I suppose it's always a good time to visit schools and drop your CV off.

I presume doing so early is OK. Keep in contact and talk to the people/ or person who actually do the hiring.
spycatcher reincarnated

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a few days to one week after Tet would be a good time. I would also follow up every week or two.

Things to consider are:
Children's programmes don't reduce much before Tet so there should be some children's classes starting very soon after Tet.
Adults classes do reduce a lot before Tet so take time to pick up again after Tet.
Especially for Adult classes, be very wary of job offers as they may well be offering you a position based on what students they hope to recruit and when they hope to recruit them, rather than based on the number of students they actually have.
livelife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!

I have looked around here and other websites, but i am wondering if anyone has a decent list of language centers in Saigon. I know about the bigger ones that advertise all the time. If anyone knows of a decent list online of schools to drop CVs off at, or knows of anyone hiring at the moment, please let me know. I would appreciate it
TRH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: A list Reply with quote

livelife wrote:
If anyone knows of a decent list online of schools to drop CVs off at, or knows of anyone hiring at the moment, please let me know.
I don't know if it is decent but here is a list that I used to start: http://www.eslbase.com/schools/vietnam There are 24 in HCMC including most of the big ones but a few others.

As far as who is hiring, best if the better connected among us answer that.
livelife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, looks like a good start for now
livelife

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to start dropping off resumes on Monday in person, but I wanted to check here if anyone knew of any openings at their school. I have my TEFL certification and over eight years of ESL experience in Asia. I really enjoy working with younger children including kindergarten. If you know of any schools that are looking for teachers please send me a PM. Thanks!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still seems slow here...
Mattingly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Still seems slow here...

Prof. Gringo,

You said you left Saigon and were in Indiana.

I do not care, but are you in VN?

How are things?
livelife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very slow indeed. The only offers are at jobs that are far away with way too few hours. I've been applying everywhere with very few calls back. Same deal with people i know that are trying for jobs at the moment.

Hmmmmmm
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livelife wrote:
Very slow indeed. The only offers are at jobs that are far away with way too few hours. I've been applying everywhere with very few calls back. Same deal with people i know that are trying for jobs at the moment.

Hmmmmmm

Looks like I'll end the working holiday early and go back to my real job...

Can't beat the real thing baby!
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
Still seems slow here...

Prof. Gringo,

You said you left Saigon and were in Indiana.

I do not care, but are you in VN?

How are things?

That would be his best friend, EFLeducator. Paradise Paradise.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmmmmmm

1) Tet was only about 3 weeks ago. You probably won't see much demand until next month (April) or maybe even the beginning of May.

2) VN has been experiencing a financial crisis for over a year, and during that time many people have lost their jobs and thousands of companies have failed, FDI has dropped significantly and the stock market is down. So, it's no wonder that teaching jobs are more scarce.

Many seem to prefer to ignore this information and choose to believe that "it doesn't affect foreigners", but of course it does if you are trying to earn a living here. Except for the children, English language lessons are for the most part an unnecessary luxury and like many service industries, demand decreases in hard times.

At any rate, good luck and get a good plan B. Make sure your bug-out bag is ready in case you need to flee the country in a hurry.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmmmm

1) Tet was only about 3 weeks ago. You probably won't see much demand until next month (April) or maybe even the beginning of May.

2) VN has been experiencing a financial crisis for over a year, and during that time many people have lost their jobs and thousands of companies have failed, FDI has dropped significantly and the stock market is down. So, it's no wonder that teaching jobs are more scarce.

Many seem to prefer to ignore this information and choose to believe that "it doesn't affect foreigners", but of course it does if you are trying to earn a living here. Except for the children, English language lessons are for the most part an unnecessary luxury and like many service industries, demand decreases in hard times.

At any rate, good luck and get a good plan B. Make sure your bug-out bag is ready in case you need to flee the country in a hurry.

My bug-out bag is fully equipped and ready to go, I have 2 jobs lined up back in the US for May and June, as well as 2 other strong options, so that makes 4 good jobs for me, right off the bat.

By the end of 2013, I'll only work about 4 months a year (in a US Based job which involves 100% travel, BTW) and gross more than most Americans make in 12 months, so I should live well in Vietnam for the other 8 months... While I build my pension and SS check, 401K, etc.

America Works Best When We Say Union YES!
Sudz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not an ideal time. I've tried everywhere and haven't had any luck - besides an interview here and there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: