Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In urgent need of advice please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irishdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: In urgent need of advice please! Reply with quote

Hola!

I have spent the past 30 minutes trying to decide how to introduce this thread. Thank you for dropping by to read and hopefully post any advice you might have. I really do appreciate it because I am at a loss as to what to do at the moment.

Researching the ESL world is something that has become a bit of a past time for me over the past 12 to 18 months. I have liaised with contacts in the British Council and spoken a lot with the teachers I worked with previously. It is surprising to hear such polarized views when it comes to the ESL world.

After all of my research and after endless hours of conversations, I decided to do the CELTA training course with International House in Belfast. I know that the end of November is not the perfect time to be looking for teaching positions, but that was the hand I was dealt. Knowing for certain that I was going to receive the British Council graduate scheme grant was important. In the United Kingdom you have to sign off when attending a full time course. So I had to rely on the small recruitment drives that schools go through to replace teachers that leave expectantly over the coming months. This was always going to be a difficult battle to win.

As soon as I had completed the course and received my end of course report and subsequently my certificate, I started applying for jobs. Before I started applying I had re-written my resume and changed my photograph to market myself better. This has been in vain as I have constantly been overlooked and more often than not I have been completely ignored. I do understand that the volume of applications they are likely to receive dictates that this may be the case, but it doesn't help me understand why I am being overlooked. It is something that infuriates me beyond belief.

The research that I had conducted prior to the course involved the Asian and European markets. Asia appears to be the easier market to break into, but also the most inconsistent across the board in terms of contracts, professionalism and reliability. An unpredictable market for me is a market that removes any interest. I simply cannot afford to sustain myself for 1 month in Asia after paying for my flights, only to find out that the legality of my contract is null and void because I am a foreigner.

Europe is a different kettle of fish. The market is much more competitive and more so in the United Kingdom. Economic instability within the Euro-zone provides many challenges for everybody but more importantly, increases the competitiveness of all job markets. Perhaps that is the reason why I am being overlooked.

Now that you have read some of my thinking and roughly know where I am coming from I will tell you a little bit about myself. I am 26 years old and hold a Bsc Hons in Political Science in addition to a diploma in Applied Sports and Exercise Science. At the moment I hold no post CELTA experience but I do hold a grasp for other languages and can speak basic levels of Spanish and Czech. My German, French, Italian and Russian haven't been used in a very long time and they were more or less basic too. Living and travelling abroad is no problem for me as I have traveled to many countries including South Africa, Norway, USA and lived in Spain and the Czech Republic.

Any thoughts and advice would greatly be appreciated. I am not somebody who wants to back pack around Europe. Moving around a lot is something I have done my whole life and if I can find a job with decent benefits that will help me settle down somewhere for a prolonged period of time with career development opportunities then fantastic. If not, then I will have to look elsewhere in different job markets.

Regards

Dave
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hiring period in most of continental Europe is August/September, as most contracts are September - June.

On the application process; you're not really being ignored.... It's very rare to find entry-level jobs from abroad; reputable schools have enough candidates actually standing in their offices, ready to teach a demo lesson - no need to take a chance on anyone sight-unseen.

Best bet: choose a city or two that you are interested in and come over at the end of August. Odds are that you'll find something.

Yes, there are up front costs, but you're a likely candidate for the European job market - given good timing and actual in-country presence.

Meanwhile, you might do a search for summer schools -it's very unlikely that you'll find a contract for March/April through June - only a school that has 'suffered' the unexpected loss of a teacher and in a market where few others are around would be hiring someone new at this time. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Quote:
if I can find a job with decent benefits that will help me settle down somewhere for a prolonged period of time with career development opportunities then fantastic.

P.S. Ah, this might preclude Europe. Pay here at the newbie/CELTA level is subsistence. Settling for a prolonged period would be difficult without further quals. There are some 'better' positions across the region, but they normally require
1. some years of experience, preferably in the region
2. local contacts, reputation, and language skills
3. usually higher-than-entry-level quals (DELTA, related MA, etc)

All this is do-able, but expect to pay dues for a few years to work your way into such a position.

Alternatively, consider Asia - by all accounts a far easier job market.
Irishdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spiral,

I have seen that you are fairly active on these forums! I appreciate the reply.

By added benefits, I meat something more like free accommodation or free flights. I am not looking at above average wages because I know that newbies are generally paid less.

With regards to the being on the ground idea. It is something that has been suggested to me, but impossible for me to do financially until the end of August/September.

In terms of summer schools, I always have a job with Embassy Summer Schools but they will not employ me as a teacher because of my lack of experience. So I will be saving my activity leader money for a move after camp. I will be on the same wages as the teachers lol
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By added benefits, I meat something more like free accommodation or free flights. I am not looking at above average wages because I know that newbies are generally paid less.

With regards to the being on the ground idea. It is something that has been suggested to me, but impossible for me to do financially until the end of August/September

Free flights and accomodations? Not Europe. I've been around almost 15 years now and I don't know anyone who gets these, outside of a few jobs that provide dormitory accomodations for high school teachers at state schools (who are paid peanuts). Some employers may arrange for accomodations, but the teacher will pay, either outright or in lessened wages.

End of August/early September is actually the ideal time to come over to job-search. This is really the most feasible course of action, if you really want to find a job.
Irishdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh jobs like that do exist in Europe. However, I have only seen them with International House and you are correct in that they pay virtually nothing.

Have you got any recommendations country wise to go over to?

I know Prague very well, Czech Republic and their culture relatively well too. Same goes for Spain and Poland.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An unpredictable market for me is a market that removes any interest. I simply cannot afford to sustain myself for 1 month in Asia after paying for my flights, only to find out that the legality of my contract is null and void because I am a foreigner.

Hi Dave, and welcome to the forums! Wink You can get exploited and cheated anywhere in the world with ELT, not just Asia LOL. And contracts in Asia do not become null and void just because you are a foreigner (if anything, illegal clauses or practices will work in your favour, should you decide to contest them. Best thing obviously though is to avoid contracts that are peppered with too many of them). The main thing is to try to ensure that you have the work visa in hand (or are 100% sure that the application has actually been submitted, and permission to work in the interim been granted) before starting a job.

Peak hiring in Japan is actually around now until mid-March, but if you won't have the necessary funds until Aug/Sept, you may need to aim for a 2014 Spring start there instead. There are further openings from the start of the Autumn term (around Sept), but not as many (because fewer people leave only halfway through their contracts!). To be honest it is very difficult to get hired from overseas (for example, after leaving JET and returning to the UK, it took me over a year to get another visa sponsor, and I probably only got that job because a colleague in China turned out to have worked at that Japanese eikaiwa school, and could vouch for me I guess).

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Irishdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Hamster lad,

Cheers for the reply.

True, you can be cheated and exploited anywhere, you must forgive my rather dramatic portrayal of Asia Razz
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I know Prague very well, Czech Republic and their culture relatively well too. Same goes for Spain and Poland.

Any of the three countries you name are quite decent for starting out in.
You might consider checking out Luxembourg. I haven't got any idea what the current situation is there, but in the past the pay for entry level teachers was relatively decent as compared to cost of living. There used to be only a couple of schools in Lux. city, and both had trouble keeping sufficient numbers of teachers on board, mostly thanks to the London-ish weather patterns that make the place relatively unattractive to teachers from the UK.

Caveat for others reading this: EU member passport required for Luxembourg.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Dave, life would be a little dull without a bit of drama to spice it up! (Can I start calling you Dramatic Dave? Very Happy). And just post on the Japan forum or PM me if you have any queries about Japan. I've also worked in China, but longer ago, so my knowledge of the Middle Kingdom may be getting a little out-of-date.
Irishdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
No worries! And just post on the Japan forum or PM me if you have any queries about Japan. I've also worked in China, but longer ago, so my knowledge of the Middle Kingdom may be getting a little out-of-date.

I appreciate that pal. Japan is definitely preferred over China for me.

Thanks again.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAL? That's fighting talk where I come from, DD (Dramatic Dave)! And in Japan, they use NTSC. Laughing Razz
Irishdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Any of the three countries you name are quite decent for starting out in.
You might consider checking out Luxembourg. I haven't got any idea what the current situation is there, but in the past the pay for entry level teachers was relatively decent as compared to cost of living. There used to be only a couple of schools in Lux. city, and both had trouble keeping sufficient numbers of teachers on board, mostly thanks to the London-ish weather patterns that make the place relatively unattractive to teachers from the UK.

Caveat for others reading this: EU member passport required for Luxembourg.

Now Lux is not somewhere I had ever considered! So thanks for that idea.

Do you have any background knowledge on the CR and Poland yourself?
Irishdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
PAL? That's fighting talk where I come from, DD (Dramatic Dave)! And in Japan, they use NTSC. Laughing Razz

hahaha I blame my German/Irish heritage for that one.

NTSC?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=63492&highlight=ntsc Smile
Irishdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh the joys of technology!

Madness! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: