Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choosing a place to teach in China based on the climate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Choosing a place to teach in China based on the climate Reply with quote

First off, I wasn't sure if this belongs in the Job-related section or the Off-Topic section. If it belongs in the Off-Topic section I apologize.

I am having a difficult time choosing a place to teach/live in China based on the climate. I prefer cooler and sometimes cold weather but my Filipina wife prefers more of a hot and humid climate. I suppose it's like trying to find a place where a polar bear and camel could compromise living together in. Obviously teaching in the northern parts of China would be fine with me while teaching in the southern parts of China would be fine by her.

Are there places to teach/live in the middle of China (not Beijing or Shanghai - too crowded) or anywhere else that has the climate like San Francisco?
http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/sanfrancisco/l/bl_sf_temp.htm
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing a place to teach in China based on the climate Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
First off, I wasn't sure if this belongs in the Job-related section or the Off-Topic section. If it belongs in the Off-Topic section I apologize.

I am having a difficult time choosing a place to teach/live in China based on the climate. I prefer cooler and sometimes cold weather but my Filipina wife prefers more of a hot and humid climate. I suppose it's like trying to find a place where a polar bear and camel could compromise living together in. Obviously teaching in the northern parts of China would be fine with me while teaching in the southern parts of China would be fine by her.

Are there places to teach/live in the middle of China (not Beijing or Shanghai - too crowded) or anywhere else that has the climate like San Francisco?

Zhejiang or even Jiangsu Province outside of Shanghai might fit the bill if you are opposed to Shanghai. I live in Shanghai with my wife (for the money). I'm from central Florida and the wife is from Jilin Province. This area seems to be a happy medium.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coastal locations modify the extremes so look there.
Remember you have lengthy holidays July/August and Jan/Feb so you can get away from the worst each end of the thermometer has to offer.
Seems like you're going to have a problem agreeing though.
Weather Underground shows max/min temps, humidity and rainfall for most cities with an airport.
Bat_Guano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Choosing a place to teach in China based on the climate Reply with quote

rioux wrote:

Yep... my wife is Indonesian and we are facing the same problem. We live in Indonesia now since we married but I'm thinking of going to China or elsehwere and all the places I want to go are the really cold places, but my wife would not like or tolerate that well at all.

Around Yunnan or Guizhou provinces seems to have a fairly moderate "compromise" type of climate, the winter similar to what we have in South Central Texas and the summers relatively mild as well. Also around Wuxi which I believe is Jiangsu Province as another poster mentioned seems like a fairly ideal compromise location. Probably anywhere north of Shanghai would be too cold for our better halves. Sad
GreatApe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second the Yunnan, Guizhou and Jiangsu recommendations and throw in Guanxi. I'm from California and taught in Guangxi for a year and it reminded me of San Francisco during the winter, although it was a bit colder.

I'd also second the recommendation for looking at "coastal cities."

In the long run ... if you want to be "truly" happy ... compromise on the side of your wife. In my mind, husbands won't find much happiness without that they have a happy wife. Very Happy

--GA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: