Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

backpackers area, Tet this year, airport

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: backpackers area, Tet this year, airport Reply with quote

Anybody notice the backpackers area at Tet this year? I was down there a couple of times with a native, and we both remarked we had never seen that high a density of foreigners before. That is always ground zero for the backpacker type, but this time it seemed even more tilted towards those guys. Some of them looked pretty weathered too, but mostly young people, many of them were not English speakers. I get the feeling we had a big influx of folks from Thailand or Cambodia drop in, checking it out as an alternative to those countries for their partying. Anyone else notice this?

By the way, I noticed they have torn down all the old revetments at the airport here in SG. Those were pretty clear reminders of the war effort, not much out there one can see that is left from those days, not just at the airport, but anywhere.

I am getting the feeling that Tet is losing its deeper significance for these guys, and is just becoming a holiday rather than a meaningful experience for them.
London Bridge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: backpackers area, Tet this year, airport Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:
Anybody notice the backpackers area at Tet this year? I was down there a couple of times with a native, and we both remarked we had never seen that high a density of foreigners before. That is always ground zero for the backpacker type, but this time it seemed even more tilted towards those guys. Some of them looked pretty weathered too, but mostly young people, many of them were not English speakers. I get the feeling we had a big influx of folks from Thailand or Cambodia drop in, checking it out as an alternative to those countries for their partying. Anyone else notice this?

The PNL/Bui Vien area is the busiest I've ever seen it. Packed with backpackers.

I was wondering why as well.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know. I was in Cambodia with the rest of the Saigon English-teaching community. So it wouldn't be a massive surprise if those in countries nearby use the holiday to do the same thing.
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the new Starbucks? The queue goes around the cafe lobby and out the front door. Insane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: