Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the odds?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: What are the odds? Reply with quote

What are the odds my cheapo $30 Samsung cellphone (bought in a department store in Thailand) will work in Japan with one of their prepaid SIMs?
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy,

I'm responding here because the other thread was locked. I hope this remark will be received in the constructive sense in which it is intended.

I get the impression that the thrust of your questions is: How can I get into Japan on my terms? People respond by explaining what Japan's terms are, but you really don't want to hear about that. This is the source of the tension and incivility that lead to the other thread being locked.

I think you need to decide: are you going to accept what we are telling you, or are you going to try and prove us wrong? If the latter, you won't do it by arguing with us. You will prove us wrong when you have found a job in Japan on your terms.

Pitarou
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
I get the impression that the thrust of your questions is: How can I get into Japan on my terms? People respond by explaining what Japan's terms are, but you really don't want to hear about that.

I think you need to decide: are you going to accept what we are telling you, or are you going to try and prove us wrong?

In the interests of brevity, I will be succinct and to the point:

A lot of what is being spouted forth is twaddle AND unsolicited twaddle.

Second, people seem to infer things in a crazy way that is reminiscent of my mother or annoying younger brother. It's a bit silly, is all.

Lastly, I'm not really sure what point you or someone else is trying to make. In some cases you are telling me things I already now and in other cases you are just talking rubbish.

Example - talk of meds = rubbish (I'd already responded to that once)

Example - Have you ever been to an Asian country where the culture and language is very different from your own? = yes

And so on ...

My OP was about disclosure in relation to work visa processing with specific mention of a specific organisation.

And no! I don't expect to work at the British Council as they are extremely tough cookies and the Japan centres will most likely have ridiculously high standards relative to other centres (though they like to think they have high standards across the board). That doesn't worry me - its the fact that the interviews are rock hard and they work on a point scoring system relative to the popularity of the post - I am crap at these and they will have people who are more qualified than me anyway, falling over themselves to shimmy up the tefl cowboy ladder so as to justify their own existence to themselves and their Japanese mother-in-law. Actually, in the end, they'll probably just hire some novice plonker.

I already had my mind set on an ALT job, which I think I stated in another thread. Is there any harm in applying to the British Council?

It's funny and a bit weird how I ask a question and people pop up and start surmising, hypothesising and fantasising about my impending hiring, ousting and deportation from Japan when I'm still sitting here in England. And if that's not enough, there's always the "my Japanese is better than your Japanese" snipe. I notcied Tefl teachers do this sort of thing a lot - in Thailand it was "My Thai is better than your Thai", whereas in Vietnam it was "My Vietnamese is better than ... " - you get the picture.

I'm only joshing anyway. I'm not bothered really and I'm just having a lark but it's surprising that one simple query could trigger a cascade (or cavalcade) of erroneous statements, questions and assumptions.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, thanks for all the concern expressed, etc. and efforts made to "assist" me. Of course, the people on this board have given me a lot of valuable and worthwhile information already and I couldn't prep this move without you. And that's fo real.

Can anyone have a stab at answering my question?

Maybe I will only know if my phone works when I arrive in Japan.

I did have a little looky at this page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223.html
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
I'm not really sure what point you or someone else is trying to make. In some cases you are telling me things I already now and in other cases you are just talking rubbish.

I am not denying the veracity of everything you say. But believe me, having to sit in the office til home time or being obliged to eat with the kids is of no importance to me whatsoever.

1) I've worked for ***holes in Thailand.
2) Office hours can be used productively.
3) I like mixing with/ spending time with the students.
4) I would prefer people not to speak English at me - I want to learn Japanese.

All in all, I'm easy-going and will just get on with it.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey wrote:
Zero.

OK so I have my answer.
Rob1209

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
Mr_Monkey wrote:
Zero.

OK so I have my answer.

The good news is you can buy one here for 3,000Y (that's about �22 to you or me) that will.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob1209 wrote:
The good news is you can buy one here for 3,000Y (that's about �22 to you or me) that will.

Hoped as much.

That's about the same as what I paid for the Thai Samsung.

Easy enough to pick up a pre-paid (pay as you go) SIM is it? - or do you need to show your passport?
kah5217

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My motorola v3x works in Japan, but that's if I'm using an international carrier like ekit.
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get a prepaid SIM on a tourist visa. I was told flat out NO but other people have got them. I think it depends on where you go and how the sales person is feeling on the day. Once you have a work visa, should be fine. Some companies though will only give you a prepaid card if you buy the phone off them outright!
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathrynoh wrote:
You might be able to get a prepaid SIM on a tourist visa. I was told flat out NO but other people have got them. I think it depends on where you go and how the sales person is feeling on the day. Once you have a work visa, should be fine. Some companies though will only give you a prepaid card if you buy the phone off them outright!

This is a real pain!

How are you meant to deal with prospective employers if you're not contactable??
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:

This is a real pain!

How are you meant to deal with prospective employers if you're not contactable??

I think the short answer is "you're not meant to" Wink -- since the gov doesn't really want people coming over on tourist visas looking for work in the first place.

As for a prepaid phone/SIM, you're supposed to be a resident (with proper documentation) in order to get one. You might find a shop employee who doesn't know that, and sells you one anyway, but the chances of that probably aren't extremely high (but greater than zero).

However, another option is to rent a phone. Rental phones are available at international airports -- you can pick one up when you arrive. They are somewhat expensive, but at least you would have a number.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
I think the short answer is "you're not meant to" Wink -- since the gov doesn't really want people coming over on tourist visas looking for work in the first place.

Oh yeah.

There's always email I suppose. Don't call me, I'll call you.

rtm wrote:
However, another option is to rent a phone. Rental phones are available at international airports -- you can pick one up when you arrive. They are somewhat expensive, but at least you would have a number.

True but I can't waste money.
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:

Oh yeah.

There's always email I suppose. Don't call me, I'll call you.

If you really want to have a local number, you could get one via, e.g., Skype or Google Voice, and use it at a computer (Internet cafe, hostel, or your mobile if it has wifi).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: