Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a job after Vietnam New Year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TravellingChloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Getting a job after Vietnam New Year Reply with quote

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I both have TEFL certificates and nearly 3 years work experience in China and Cambodia. We are looking for new jobs in Vietnam, ideally Danang or second choice HCMC. We plan on turning up after Tet knocking on doors and putting in the foot work to try and find a job. Has anyone done this before? And any helpful hints at all? Thanks for any points you may have.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tet is early February this year, and things are veeerrrry slow after Tet, so I'd probably wait until you get closer to the ramp-up to the busy summer season......April isn't a bad time.

Not sure about the job scene in Ho Chi Minh City, but from what I have read on here and also from what two different friends who have tried to make a go of it down there tell me, Da Nang is a prime destination, and, thusly, supply of English Teachers greatly outstrips demand there.

Friends who have resided down there have told me about having to piece together hours from as many as four or five different gigs (including private tutoring sessions [travel time and petrol money really add up after a while]) simply to make ends meet there! I myself would love to live in Da Nang, but the reality of the employment situation (from what I was told six months ago, anyways) kind of nixed that plan.

We have a few members with boots-on-the-ground in Da Nang, perhaps they can give you a clearer picture.....
vabeckele

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Danang Reply with quote

Danang is truly a breathtaking place to be, but it is a little tricky to stay there.

You will meet a lot of dishonest landlords and if you cannot negotiate and see the angles they are playing, it may prove costly and time consuming. At any rate you will pay 3 month's rent up front, this is the norm (some ask for 6, don't do it). You will pick up a nice furnished 2-3 bedroomed house for about 300-400 dollars.

ELI, the biggest and shiniest centre in town, is the best gig to get, but it is very difficult to get into. They will pay the same rates as in the major two cities. That would almost be it in my opinion. There are other chain schools and universities, however, they really get bent if you go beyond 15 dollars an hour, but over time, and this is the issue, how much time do you have? You will get 20, but no more.

Conditions in the local centres are chaotic, with no placement tests, and Vietnamese style textbooks full of mistakes and tasks that seem to want students to jump through lexical and grammatical hoops rather than to be able to communicate well. There are about 4 or 5 chain centres down there that will be a bit better. If you can work with small children, there is work, but again the pay is low and you will have to work in a few places to make up the rent.

Danang is gearing itself up as a major tourist attraction, and it was, at least for me, a bit misleading as I thought it to be an example of what could be done under good governance. I believed it was a growing city fully invested in bringing up the local population. Sadly, this is not the case (I just heard though, a British university will be being built soon). This isn't enough. Danang needs many different knowledge bases to start from, not universities and centres pumping out staff for the 5 star hotels, which coincidentally are not able to do successfully as the language level is still woefully behind the trend.

You both will love the area, it is truly majestic and it fulfilled an dream of mine to live on, 'the beach'. There are many cities, views and attractions that will blow your mind - food is good there too, clean and fresh. Be mindful of getting to the 6 month mark, after that you will begin to twiddle your thumbs for lack of any real social interaction and things to do. It is a place for families.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Vabeckele on some things and disagree on others. He's spot on about housing. There are a few very reliable real estate agents in town. If you ever come here I can give you their contact info.

He's also right about the primary market in Danang being children. From kindergarten to high school is the normal age range. If you like kids, there's lots of work to be found. There's a few university gigs, but not as many as you'd think with the prestigious Danang Foreign Language University in town...

There's also a few international schools in town worth looking into. These will pay the most and give you the closest thing to full-time hours, but are also the hardest to get accepted for.

I disagree with his assessment that you'll be bored after 6 months. Danang has a a fairly diverse expat scene. There's several different circles that you can connect with. I don't think Danang is much of a family town at all, but that might be mainly due to the fact that my circle of friends are all single. Hoi An (about 40 mins down the coast) is where most of the families and retired westerners are living.

I've been living here for awhile now, and plan to stay for awhile longer. If you come, I think you'll truly enjoy the experience.
vabeckele

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Danang Foreign Languages University Reply with quote

To give you an idea of the level of education down in Danang, 4 of my students were awarded bachelor's degrees in English from there and were all in my elementary class. Great students, but a lousy education.
TravellingChloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for this information, much more than I could have hoped for, and some really good points that my boyfriend and I need to consider. Personally I love teaching kindergarten but my boyfriend prefers slightly older students. Saving is our main goal with each teaching job we have had so you've given us alot to think about....thank you for your time everyone!
TravellingChloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again thanks for everyones help. My boyfriend and I are now in Danang and actively seeking employment....however if anyone hears of any jobs please feel free to send me a PM and let me know! Thanks again!
vabeckele

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: White sands, blue sky and lazy days Reply with quote

TravellingChloe wrote:
Once again thanks for everyones help. My boyfriend and I are now in Danang and actively seeking employment....however if anyone hears of any jobs please feel free to send me a PM and let me know! Thanks again!

Well?

What are your first impressions?

I am a little jealous, as I remember my first visit.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in Danang now? Send me a message if you need anything. Hope you enjoy your stay.
TravellingChloe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love it here already after 5 days, but would love it more if we can secure work! It's omewhere we can really see ourselves staying as it suits our lifestyle.

It's been a busy few days driving around on the moto and trying to find private language centers.

Expat Luke - if we manage to settle here I'll be sure to send you a message!
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the language centers, you could possibly check out some of the resorts and nicer hotels in the area. I know they hire English teachers to train their staff from time to time. Furama Resort and the Intercontinental Resort would be worth looking into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: