Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben.detw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: What are my chances? Reply with quote

I have been checking out this forum for quite sometime and I think I finally know what to ask. I am 25 with a BBA and half-way finished with my on-site masters (M.S) Interdisciplinary studies from SUNY Bangkok and a 120-hour on-site TEFL.

I have 4 years experience teaching at a public school here in Bangkok. Also, I have been working at Inlingua (Language center) after work for the past 3 years.

I would like to work in either Saudi Arabia or UAE as they have the most savings potential. My financial situation back home (US) is 30K worth of student loans that I would like to pay off with my middle east compensation.

So, my pie in the sky plan would be to work in Saudi or UAE for one or two years and then go to the country that starts with K to work in the public school system and eventually a university near Seoul.

I will finish my masters while in Saudi by flying back to Bangkok on the weekends the classes are held.

Is my plan feasible?

Thanks for your help!
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, you will probably get more useful responses if you post this in the Saudi Arabia, or perhaps the General Middle East Forum.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What are my chances? Reply with quote

ben.detw wrote:
So, my pie in the sky plan would be to work in Saudi or UAE for one or two years and then go to the country that starts with K to work in the public school system and eventually a university near Seoul.

I will finish my masters while in Saudi by flying back to Bangkok on the weekends the classes are held.

Is my plan feasible?

This thread really belongs on the Saudi forum. But in answer to your question about how doable jetting back/forth between Thailand and KSA is, I'd say it's not likely since it would be contingent upon your employer and visa type (again, tied to the employer). For example, if you get a teaching position and possess a single-entry 90-day business visit visa (popular with many Saudi contracting companies), once you leave the country, you can't get back in. Plus, it's doubtful the contracting company will authorize a multi-exit/entry business visit visa for you. Also, you may be required to do regular visa runs, possibly to Bahrain and on weekends, in order to renew your visa status. (The weekend in KSA is on Thursday & Friday.) By the way, this visa type---despite being commonly issued for teachers working on behalf of contracting companies---does not grant the holder the right to live or work in the Kingdom. There are some other disadvantages with this visa type, such as the possibility of working 48 hours per week, and with working for contracting companies in general. You can find more about visa types on the Saudi forum.

On the other hand, if you're able to get hired directly by a Saudi university or company, you'll be issued a proper employment visa. This visa type is ideal; however, you'll need permission from your employer to leave and re-enter the country via an exit/re-entry visa. Additionally, you won't be able to leave the country while your residence permit is being processed during the first 90 days of entry into the country. You could ask the employer to authorize a multi-exit/re-entry visa, but they're not obligated to do so.

Something to ponder when you're about to fork over your hard-earned money for your SUNY courses.
ben.detw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply nomad soul. I would most likely work for the company my dad is currently teaching with (Mcgill university). His visa is a multiple entry visa.

It looks like my plan would be tough to accomplish with the 'ifs' that are involved.

Thanks for your help.

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: