Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what happens now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are options, but are time and money factors right now? Do you have enough money at the moment to allow you to continue the job search for another few weeks, and still have enough money to get home if it all goes pear shaped? Are you currently in a hotel? Do you know anyone you can stay with to cut costs? The situation you're in right now isn't too uncommon, and hopefully something good is going to happen for you soon.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only YOU can answer that question. Decide what you want. If you want to stay in China then keep looking. There's always jobs to be found if you look hard enough - or in the right place.
likwid_777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by likwid_777 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
Only YOU can answer that question. Decide what you want. If you want to stay in China then keep looking. There's always jobs to be found if you look hard enough - or in the right place.

What kind of jobs, though? I've been told by my contacts here where I'm currently located that I need to be looking at universities and public schools, but if I don't have the right qualifications for them I'm wasting my time. I don't know what kind of jobs I should be looking at.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have options. You're a native speaker, you're breathing.............
mw182006

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say first that I've been following this thread with hope that things work out for you. I'm sure it's tough being out of your element entirely and having to rely on strangers for advice/guidance. Good luck!

That said, I think the first year is going to be tough no matter where you end up. Chalk the firing up to a learning experience - you made a gamble and it didn't work out - but I'm sure hundreds have been in your shoes before and made the most of it. It seems like you're looking for that perfect school/job, which you could luck out and find. But if it were me, I'd be looking for any legitimate place that would hire me legally and worry about the small stuff later. Are you the most qualified? No. But you're there and willing to work NOW, so just focus on selling yourself in the interviews. Everyone's going to have advice for you, but at the end of the day you're the one in control and it's mostly on you to make this move work or not.

/2 cents from Texas
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
You have options. You're a native speaker, you're breathing.............

Yep. If you are white then it adds to the favorable balance. ( not to sound racist - just stating an established fact.)
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but non-Caucasian native speakers still have a good chance. Not QUITE as easy, but still employable.
likwid_777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeahp, my buddy who is half Filipino and therefore Asian in appearance worked in my school, a Nigerian fella, then a man from Ghana who was labelled as 'American'. Then there was the 'Canadian' girl from Slovakia, the 'American' girl from Russia, the list goes on.

You may have to be labelled another as another nationality. And there was actually a Filipino dude (actual Filipino, non native speaker of English) who was working in the elementary school. He was thoroughly impressed when I said some lame-o joke in Tagalog to him haha.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now you know why the leaders of the great mother country send their kids to foreign schools in foreign countries.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna know what I hate? Getting a notification that there's a post on a topic I'm watching and it's total nonsense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: