Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Offers - Advice on schools needed!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladycaza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Job Offers - Advice on schools needed!!! Reply with quote

Hello All,

This is my first posting so please bear with me.

I have been offered a teaching position at British Town in Izmir to start IN February, however to day I also received an offer from English Time in Istanbul ( thou i am not sure which branch). This will be my first teaching experience having only just gained my CELTA in December.

The first school is offering 2,000Tl for 160 hr months with 3 months paid accommodation. Work permits and residency paid for only 1 day off a week. The other is offering 18 TL per hour for a 120 hour month with 3 months paid accomodation, 300TL housing allowance thereafter and 2 days off per week. with a 1,000 euro bonus at the end. I really don't know what to do. I hear bad things about English Time, especially from this forum but i am more confused about living expenses. Can i live on 2,000 TL per month? Is 160 hours not an awful lot of work with only 1 day off a week? My turkish friends say turkish people work way more hours. I'm i just a pampered brit?

Any responses welcomed.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is 160 contact hours a month, it's ridiculous ..

Firstly, it's exhausting and secondly, at 12.5 YTL per hour, it's a crap hourly rate .. Cleaners get paid more

Ask your Turkish friends if they would work for $7 an hour

Having said that, you could get by easily on 2000 YTL per month if you didn't live like an ex-pat and shared an apartment ..
Ladycaza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i thought 12.5 TL a hour was awful as well. It's like slave labour! And no sadly i wouldn't share an apartment, I think i would kill them if i had to live with someone. I do want to join a gym and be able to go see my aunt in fethiye on occasions so I guess i need to take these expenses into account as well. Sad

Can you suggest any better language schools in Izmir?

Thanks!!
�zcan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Job Offers - Advice on schools needed!!! Reply with quote

Ladycaza wrote:
Is 160 hours not an awful lot of work with only 1 day off a week? My turkish friends say turkish people work way more hours. I'm i just a pampered brit?

It's true that most Turks work long hours, but how is that a good thing? I believe in balance in all areas of life. Just because most Turks work long hours doesn't mean that you are a "pampered Brit" if you refuse to work long hours as most Turks do.

I'm sorry I can't help you further because I have never worked or lived in Turkey before although I'm of Turkish descent.

Last edited by �zcan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
�zcan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Parrot wrote:
Cleaners get paid more

Really?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: