Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT, MA vs. MEd TESOL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member100

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: HCT, MA vs. MEd TESOL Reply with quote

I recently applied online for an English Language Instructor position at HCT and was sent a rejection email one day after I applied. I have been subsequently told by someone that it may be because they specifically require an MA in TESOL or linguistics. I have an MEd. with a TESOL cert. from a reputable university in the U.S. (not done online) and have 5 years teaching experience at a university in Kuwait. I am currently teaching ESL ful time in the U.S. for a charitable refugee resettlement agency. Does anyone know if they flat out reject anyone who doesn't have an MA specifically in linguistics or TESOL and read no further?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds very odd. First off, really odd to get an immediate rejection. Are you sure that you didn't do something incorrect on the web entries causing it to kick you out this way? (I know that their site sometimes has issues)

And your MEd is related. So, I don't see it as an issue.

According to many of their ads, an MA isn't required. Although they don't hire that many, the ads have often said BA + CELTA + a few years of good related experience.

If possible, I would plan to attend TESOL in Texas where you could try again.

VS
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, HCT is not listed as attending.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they are even hiring. They have axed so many people this year, and it is possible that they are not replacing them.

VS
Member100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the info.! Yes VS, I think you are right, the vacancy I applied for on their web site was very old so they have probably gotten all the applicants they need. I applied just before the closing date so I thought there was still a possibility. . .
smedini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I applied on February 9th and my application has been "under review" since then. I was wondering if that was long...?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it for the same opening as above or was it a new ad?

VS
smedini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Was it for the same opening as above or was it a new ad?

VS

It was just one on their site posted at the end of September, closing end of April. Did you see my message to you on the other thread ("expected good salary")?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just guessing here... but they are likely hanging fire until after TESOLArabia and TESOL US are finished. There may also be questions about staff needs for next year.

Right now your CV is likely on the "maybe" list. You have good educational credentials, but your experience is on the low side. Getting that first job in the Gulf can be difficult. If they don't bite, you might try Oman and get a couple years of "related experience" during which you could also attend TESOLArabia and more easily snag an interview.

VS
smedini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I'm just guessing here... but they are likely hanging fire until after TESOLArabia and TESOL US are finished. There may also be questions about staff needs for next year.

Right now your CV is likely on the "maybe" list. You have good educational credentials, but your experience is on the low side. Getting that first job in the Gulf can be difficult. If they don't bite, you might try Oman and get a couple years of "related experience" during which you could also attend TESOLArabia and more easily snag an interview.

VS

Are you talking to me or the OP? Lol...that's what I get for jacking a thread Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion is your punishment. Cool And the advice could very well go for both of you. But, in this case, I was talking to you.

VS
smedini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Confusion is your punishment. Cool And the advice could very well go for both of you. But, in this case, I was talking to you.

VS

Lol...then the punishment shall be mine!

I'm a bit disheartened to hear that my experience is on the low side. Four years post masters working exclusively with adults in business and academic, I'd hoped, would make it the right time to start fishing! Not to mention two and a half years as an IELTS examiner (only because the HCT job description lists as a requirement the willingness to seek certification as an IE). I'm not really interested in heading to Oman, but I'll keep my fingers crossed...and see what comes my way Smile

Thanks for the feedback!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many teachers roving the Gulf with 10+ years in Middle East university foundations programs. For instance, the collapse of the QU program has a significant number of teachers looking to escape the insecurity.

VS
smedini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but not get my hopes up too high. That said, I just got an email saying my application has passed the screening and is "to be considered for upcoming interviews". At least that's movement after being "under review" for the last month Wink

#fingersstillcrossed

~smedini
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds positive...

Good Luck!!

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: