Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching on a Jamaican/English-Speaking Caribbean Passport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johntpartee
Quote:
Quote:spiral
But, johnt. Did you ever meet a Maltese citizen who wasn't a fluent speaker of English?

Quote:
johnt
No, I must admit I haven't. But, then again, I've never met a Maltese citizen.

Sashadroogie:

Quote:
That's exactly how you make 'em cross!

Ah, then they aren't cross with me. I actually do know quite a few Maltese citizens.

And yes - they all speak very fluent English. Laughing
Quote:
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's exactly how you make 'em cross!

And he swoops in and pounces like a falcon on a...........what do falcons pounce on?
artemisia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
I've wondered about that myself. Northern Ireland is considered part of the UK, but the rest of it......

EDIT: I just looked it up and the official language of the Republic of Ireland is Irish; maybe that makes it "iffy", kinda like South Africa.

I think Gaelic is still learnt in school as the official language, but it certainly isn't widely spoken there any more than Maori (also an official language) is in NZ, so it must be due to the perception some countries have of the Irish Republic.

I seem to remember on another thread that those with an Irish passport (and South African) have to provide an IELTS score of 6.5 (?) to work in Thailand as English language teachers. I don't know about other countries. It's nuts!
sager

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a school in Germany that markets Filipinos as native speakers of English! Rolling Eyes
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemisia wrote:
johntpartee wrote:
I've wondered about that myself. Northern Ireland is considered part of the UK, but the rest of it......

EDIT: I just looked it up and the official language of the Republic of Ireland is Irish; maybe that makes it "iffy", kinda like South Africa.

I think Gaelic is still learnt in school as the official language, but it certainly isn't widely spoken there any more than Maori (also an official language) is in NZ, so it must be due to the perception some countries have of the Irish Republic.

I seem to remember on another thread that those with an Irish passport (and South African) have to provide an IELTS score of 6.5 (?) to work in Thailand as English language teachers. I don't know about other countries. It's nuts!

This may well be true, but why discriminate against one multilingual country, but not another. There is a greater chance of hiring a non-English speaker from Canada, for example, than there ever would be from Ireland or New Zealand. No non-anglophone monoglots there whatsoever anymore, I believe. Not really the same in the Caribbean area, as far as my limited knowledge extends...
artemisia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
This may well be true, but why discriminate against one multilingual country, but not another. There is a greater chance of hiring a non-English speaker from Canada, for example, than there ever would be from Ireland or New Zealand.

That's why I think it's nuts. With Ireland, it makes no more sense to me than employers thinking (as I gather some do) that blond hair and blue eyes is what a real American has. I suppose South Africa does have quite a large number of official languages, but maybe such restrictions apply only in Thailand - never heard of this anywhere else.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemisia wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:
This may well be true, but why discriminate against one multilingual country, but not another. There is a greater chance of hiring a non-English speaker from Canada, for example, than there ever would be from Ireland or New Zealand.

That's why I think it's nuts. With Ireland, it makes no more sense to me than employers thinking (as I gather some do) that blond hair and blue eyes is what a real American has. I suppose South Africa does have quite a large number of official languages, but maybe such restrictions apply only in Thailand - never heard of this anywhere else.

While the specific cases of Ireland (recently added to the list of "Native Speakers") and S.Africa do apply to Thailand at least they can take the TOEIC (or other test of English competency) and get past the NNS thing (as can any other NNS).

In other countries (largely in Asia), for NNS, there is no legal option other than working on the wrong visa (technically illegal but often done in China or Taiwan, Vietnam and Indonesia).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: