Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get a driver's license in Oman
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbienicki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the topic at hand. You can buy a car without a driver's license. I did anyway. The insuance and mokia were provided by the car dealership as a part of my package. Suprisingly they didn't ask for my license. Go figure. I went and got my license a few weeks after. I had my U.S. license, but had changed fom a Florida license to a North Carolina license about nine months before I left. Even after I provided a DMV printout from Florida and had both attested by the U.S. embassy, the ROP still were contending that I hadn't had the license for a year. Confused I did driving classes for about ten times and then went twice for the road test, got it the second time.

A word of caution to drivers, the ROP is pretty tough on expats, maybe because they think we believe that we should be exempted from their laws, and it seems that some people here think we are, or we should be. They wil fine you for sure and your insurance is useless if you don't have a permit. Think about it, when foreigners come to the U.S. they can drive on their license for six months and then that's it. Why should we expect any different rules when we are in their country. Fine, it might be less than six months, but we have resident cards that allow us to have licenses before. Save yourself any hassle and just do it.
stanggg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you newbienicki. I was going through the trouble of finding some kind of document so they would allow me to get my license. Sounds like it will not work. Anybody else find a way to get a round this rule, or do I have to wait 6 months until I have had my current license for a year?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman can be a stickler for rules. Rather than take the driving lessons and exam... which seems more of a money maker rather than teaching/testing system and may take you the 6 months anyway... I think I would just wait out the 6 months. Getting around will be a hassle or you could take the risk of driving illegally during that time.

I wouldn't recommend the risk, but as you probably noticed, there are those who think it isn't important to bother to get a local license at all. I'm too much of a coward to do that. As I recall, you can lease with an International License. That might be an option for at least part of the time.

VS
newbienicki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanggg, I think you should give it a try Get the documents that will confirm you have had the license for more than a year and go to the ROP. I believe I was really unlucky to have met an officer in Sohar who was dead set on me not getting the license. The first time I went, I was told I just had to get the documents attested, but then I met this very difficult officer who seemed to want to make it his duty to foil me in an attempt at transferring the license. With that said,try, you may have better luck than I did. If that fails, just wait it out as V.S. suggested. Let us know what happens and good luck. Smile
tvik

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you don't have a license? Mine expired many years ago. How difficult is it to get an Omani license from scratch?
madrileno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvik wrote:
What if you don't have a license? Mine expired many years ago. How difficult is it to get an Omani license from scratch?

You'd have to go through the same process as all the Omanis trying to get a license, including taking lessons and passing the necessary tests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: