Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language Link Russia
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lunes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Language Link Russia Reply with quote

Hi, anyone got any recent experience of Language Link. There are some comments on here from a few years ago that are very alarming and make me want to run a mile. However things can change. I would be grateful for any information.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like leopards and spots...?

Seriously, I don't have any recent information on them, but would be sceptical of any chance of a transformation into a decent place to work. Could be OK for an entree, as any McSchool, but don't really know. With luck, others will post.
sandiegoman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with LL in Orenburg recently and had a bad experience with them. The big schools are like wolves.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right, sadly.
Jazziz23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't work there. Talked to several former and current workers at various branches. Also from personal dealing with them. Scummy and they treat teachers like dirt.
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very unprofessional - worst of the mcschools in my experience
kazachka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just helped a teacher out of that rathole by giving them the contacts of my visa person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Linochka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I currently work at LL and have been doing so for 9 months. I can't say that it's as bad as the above comments say, so it obviously depends which branch you work in.

The atmosphere at my school is generally upbeat, and our facilities aren't perfect but reasonable enough. The administration are friendly girls, and the boss is a funny guy. They do try to take advantage of you if they can, i.e. asking you to cover for people at the last possible moment, and saying "Only you can do it" when in fact it's perfectly within your rights to refuse. That ticks me off. However, when you have to work overtime they're good at paying you.

I really believe that it's the relationships with the other teachers who make or break your enjoyment of working at LL. We used to have a lot of great people here, but their contracts finished and they've been replaced with a younger, more conservative bunch. It's not so fun anymore.

But as far as work goes, I've found it ok. The money isn't amazing but I'm able to live very comfortably, and I have my nice flat provided. Yes, it feels like it's taking over your life at times, what with bloody split shifts and evening classes every day. There are other schools here which pay more but they don't provide accommodation, and therefore teachers tend to live further away from the centre.

I also prefer LL to working privately - it's actually nice to know you only have to go to one place every day (give or take an in-company class), and you can celebrate if a class/individual cancels rather than panicking that because of that you won't be able to pay the rent.

Last edited by Linochka on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
teacher X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just accepted a job with them, so we'll see how it goes.
The ADOS I've been speaking with has been very patient and helpful and has answered a million and one of my questions.

So my impression so far has been good.

I used to work for Shane English Schools in Tokyo and they had a horrific reputation, with teachers very aggressively complaining about every aspect of the company. But I found that I had a great time there and got on with all the staff and students. So it really just depends on the individual teacher.

I don't mind doing the odd bit of cover as long as I am paid for it, so I think it'll be fine. I'll be sure to update my opinion in a few months time.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher X wrote:
But I found that I had a great time there and got on with all the staff and students. So it really just depends on the individual teacher.

Not so sure that this will apply to Language Link. May depend more on what nutty administrator you get landed with. But could be wrong, so please do keeps us updated. It will certainly be of interest.

In any case, best of luck, and a pre-emptive welcome to Russia!
Beechouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do keep us updated on your experience with LL. I am considering working for them as well, even though they are a McSchool. I am also looking into other private schools as well... Anyways, keep us updated on the overall feel/experience/etc. Thanks Teacher X!
teacher X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya, I will be sure to let you all know what it's like.
But I wont be going until the end of May, so you'll have to wait until the summer before I can give you an impression of the place.

As I mentioned before, the ADOS has been extremely helpful and comes across as a pretty nice guy.

But of course, due to the comments from people, I am keeping my guard up.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: LL schools Reply with quote

most are franchises and can vary tremendously,depending on the staff who run them:the safest way is to try to talk to someone who has worked at the branch you are considering before you decide-but this firm tends to get a lot of negative feedback and that can't be a good sign?
megan81

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher X wrote:
I'll be sure to update my opinion in a few months time.

Well, teacher X, it's been a month or so for you, right? How is Language Link treating you? I'm thinking of applying for their Internship or their Volunteer Program. Let us know about your experience so far!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear for the worst. Come on Teacher X! Let us know that you are not shackled to a whiteboard somewhere deep in the bowels of Language Link!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: